In 1988 (and probably before that), The National Westminster Trophy was awarded to the National Open winner, that is, first overall at the Nationals, irrespective of country (at this point in time, only UK boats could win the UK Nationals). More recently it is awarded to the winners of race 6 at the National Championships.
The photo above, from the 1988 Nationals, is, we think, of the National Westminster Trophy. According to the 1988 Trophy list, Danny O’Grady & Ciaran Scott won the National Westminster and Hathi Plate, and this is not the plate. We've also got good photos, mainly from 2012, of the MCA Nationals trophies, apart from National Westminster & Lucas Trophy and this trophy is not among those. So this trophy is probably one of the missing two. Matt Grayson remembers seeing it at some point, so that means it had to be in circulation while he was active in the class, and the National Westminster was awarded at the 2011 Nationals.
It looks similar to one of the National Inland Championship trophies, the Peter Drysdale Trophy, but the inscription is clearly different. I can't read all the inscription, but the start is clear - 'MIRROR CLASS ASSOCIATION' and then a fairly short word ending in 'T' followed by 'TROPHY', so could be 'NATWEST TROPHY'
This trophy is missing at the moment.
- It was awarded to Ed & Beth Grey in 2011 according to the 2011 list.
- Colette Grey tells me all the trophies they had were returned.
- It was not among the trophies photographed prior to the Prizegiving at the 2012 National Championship at Itchenor.
- We have a list of trophy winners from 2012 which states that it was awarded to Milly & Nick Pugh. However, we know it was not photographed prior to the prizegiving. We have a photograph from the prizegiving of Nick Pugh with the Fox & Hounds Marine Trophy (which is not on the list of awarded trophies), so it seems the list is not 100% accurate. Maybe the Fox & Hounds Marine Trophy (an Inlands trophy) was awarded instead of the National Westminster Trophy.
- The Pughs have checked and do not have this trophy.
Here are some photographs of past winners
|2019-2013||Not returned, so not awarded|
|2012||Not among the trophies photographed prior to the prizegiving, so maybe not returned (see above)|
|2011||Ed & Beth Grey||According to the 2011 list|
|2001||Alex Kaiser & Jack Vaughan (IRL)||Awarded for 2nd Day 3|
|1988||Danny O’Grady & Ciaran Scott (IRL)||National Open Winner|