Centre Mainsheet?

• Charlie Pearson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2006 18:24 #19301 by Charlie Pearson
Centre Mainsheet? was created by Charlie Pearson
<font face='Comic Sans MS'></font id='Comic Sans MS'>There is a rumour that the class is considering a centre mainsheet. Is this true? Has anyone tried it/rigged it? Is it likely to be accepted?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Charlie Pearson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2006 18:48 #12442 by Charlie Pearson
Replied by Charlie Pearson on topic Centre Mainsheet?
<font face='Comic Sans MS'></font id='Comic Sans MS'>I'm not sure how many people reply to their own messages, but I have now found some old messages on this subject, so I may not need an answer but...any comments would be gratefully received. Is it likely that the centre mainsheet will be adopted?

• GarethT
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Aug 2006 09:15 #12511 by GarethT
Replied by GarethT on topic Centre Mainsheet?
I'm thinking of rigging mine with a centre main, just so my sone can move between his Oppie and the Mirror without getting too confused.

More
18 Aug 2006 14:21 #12514 by Tim Cushion
Replied by Tim Cushion on topic Centre Mainsheet?
As a casual Mirror cruiser I’m totally unqualified to offer an opinion - but that’s never stopped me before so:

The practical aspects of using a centre main in the Mirror puzzle me. There seems to be little enough space forward for the crew, and putting something else in the way won’t help much when crossing sides?

If we want to increase the attraction of Mirrors then I reckon the use of a gnav would improve things greatly. Certainly my two would enjoy not being sliced in two by the kicker. Although its more of a problem for me now that the kids insist on helming.

Also, as another way for improving the Mirror as a learning tool, how about allowing the use of an adjustable traveller on the transom? This would give aspiring Olympians and bored Dads something else to fiddle with.

“Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drownâ€

• Charlie Pearson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Aug 2006 16:22 #12611 by Charlie Pearson
Replied by Charlie Pearson on topic Centre Mainsheet?
We have now tried the system and raced for a week this summer with the centre main (having sought permission from the Race Officer). Another boat tried the system too. We both found the system to be very good - I had (alternately) a 10- and 7-year old helming, both used to Oppies - with no major problems. Indeed, it was much easier for me to recover the situation (generally a lost mainsheet) from the crew's position than would have been the case with the rear main.

I am 6ft4in and no lightweight. I found that I fitted under the boom/between the main and the vang well enough - in fact I couldn't really tell the difference from a rear main.

I hope that the centre main is approved soon.

Now, if we could get the starts, beats, mark-rounding and boatspeed sorted, we would be invincible.

Next summer we try the GNAV!

Charlie P

• shampton
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2006 11:52 #12615 by shampton
Replied by shampton on topic Centre Mainsheet?
I'm thinking of adding a trapeze, asymmetric and hydrofoils to a Mirror.

Has anyone tried this?

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2006 12:25 #12620 by LevanteIRL67592
Replied by LevanteIRL67592 on topic Centre Mainsheet?
I'm assuming you were being sarcastic, but Aussie boatbuilder John Collove has rigged a mirror with a trapeze and a masthead assymetric spinnaker, as well as a huge centreboard and (reportedly) a bigger, carbon, rig.

The hydrofoil is probably a bit beyond him at the moment though!

• shampton
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2006 13:23 #12623 by shampton
never let it be said......

• flyingpig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2006 21:52 #12627 by flyingpig
Replied by flyingpig on topic Centre Mainsheet?
My aim is to fit the Flying Pig out as a fully rigged galleon, preferably with a cannon and grappling hooks to hitch tows from passing speed merchants. No one else at the club single hands with 3 sails, but just in case a rival should emerge, why not add a bit more canvas just to distract the opposition?

pigs can....and do.....

• shampton
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2006 22:07 #12629 by shampton
Flying pig...this has already been done.

Around 30 Mirrors were converted to galleons of the English, French and Spanish fleets to re-enact the Battle of Trafalgar last year on the River Hamble. Mine was the Spanish flagship the Santa Ana.

I can let you have photos if you like to model your modifications on.

p.s. our firing canon made out of a drainpipe will, i reckon, contravene Rule 2 if used to prevent overtaking.

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2006 00:31 #12630 by LevanteIRL67592
Replied by LevanteIRL67592 on topic Centre Mainsheet?
Another handy one is to keep shackle pins handy in the boat to throw into your opponents. If done cleverly, they will spend ages sitting head to wind as they frantically try to find which shackle has worked loose!!

I was a very evil junior!!

Edited by - levanteIRL67592 on 01 September 2006 12:32:27

• trw999
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2006 11:35 #12631 by trw999
Replied by trw999 on topic Centre Mainsheet?
We always keep a Super Soaker handy! Especially useful whilst out on the course waiting for the wind to fill in prior to a start. When used in an international fleet you get some pretty amazed looks from the foreign boat crews!

It is kept in a watertight compartment, custom fitted with a foam cutout and space for extra "magazines"! James Bond rather likes it this way.

Tim...007

• flyingpig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2006 12:32 #12640 by flyingpig
Replied by flyingpig on topic Centre Mainsheet?
Not sure about the shackle pin trick - I already have quite a few shackles missing their pins, so no spare pins available. Does it work just as well the other way round?
I'd love to see the Mirror Galleons in action - and I'm sure a few others would too! Any chance of getting them on the website via the gallery?

pigs can....and do.....

• RD 500
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2006 12:35 #12641 by RD 500
Replied by RD 500 on topic Centre Mainsheet?
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
As a casual Mirror cruiser I’m totally unqualified to offer an opinion - but that’s never stopped me before so:

The practical aspects of using a centre main in the Mirror puzzle me. There seems to be little enough space forward for the crew, and putting something else in the way won’t help much when crossing sides?

If we want to increase the attraction of Mirrors then I reckon the use of a gnav would improve things greatly. Certainly my two would enjoy not being sliced in two by the kicker. Although its more of a problem for me now that the kids insist on helming.

Also, as another way for improving the Mirror as a learning tool, how about allowing the use of an adjustable traveller on the transom? This would give aspiring Olympians and bored Dads something else to fiddle with.

“Better drowned than duffers if not duffers wont drownâ€

• shampton
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2006 17:56 #12645 by shampton
Will try and get pics of Mirrors dressed as galleons on the site.

In the meantime have a look here

http://www.bursledonregatta.co.uk/ and click on 2005 memories.

The galleons really are Mirrors underneath!

Time to create page: 0.331 seconds