Centre Main

More
15 Mar 2007 19:30 #14566 by Trevor Lloyd
Replied by Trevor Lloyd on topic Centre Main
Hi Jon

At the moment we can have the laser type arrangement having a bridle across the transom, in my case with a block 'fixed' centrally. Block with becket on the boom to give an extra 2:1, run along the boom to a central swivel \ jammer mount. A jammer is legal if you wanted to use one, we have opted not to for the reasons you have highlighted, just the ratchet block. Got some photo's if you want to see how we have done it.

I think that the boom will be too flexible for the centre main arrangement you suggest and I don't believe it's legal from discussions, we can't even use split tail main-sheets. Having the main sheet from the centre would make getting the tiller extension length right much easier and allow the tiller to be flicked around the back.

By all means give me a ring

Trevor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Sinker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 21:04 #14570 by Sinker
Replied by Sinker on topic Centre Main
Trev,
I think we'll sit on the fence at present with this update, until the rules are published and it is clearer what works and what doesn't.

Thinking about what I suggested in (ii) above it would probably need a hoop or a traveller/barberhauler to make it work. Would these be legal?

Cheers
Jon

• huxley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Mar 2007 22:06 #14573 by huxley
Replied by huxley on topic Centre Main
When somebody gets around to writing the rules it would be worth including options for the guide eye on the boom as the Laser class do.

The pictures on centre main this site show a stainless eye like most lasers have to guide the mainsheet from the aft block to the boom in the middle of the boom. A few years ago the lasers allowed this eye to be replaced with a soft strap. From experience this soft strap is more gentle on the head and back of the buoyancy aid :-)

http://www.laserinternational.org/rules/rules07.pdf on page 8 of the PDF (or as its a subsection from a large document page 36) shows diagrams of allowed Laser soft strap options.

Just a thought...

More
15 Mar 2007 22:39 #14574 by Trevor Lloyd
Replied by Trevor Lloyd on topic Centre Main
Jon

I agree sit on the fence. I did it because the boat was at the dinghy show and I was requested to fit one. I am sure it wouldn't be legal, but then I don't see anything in the rules that specifically prohibits either of them.

Huxley

Having had 9 stitches in the top of my head from the aforementioned mainsheet strap in a laser I couldn't agree more. I have fitted a mylar restrainer so as to not have to spend hours in Hospital when my son does the same!!!

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds