Corrector Weight Rule AGM 07

More
13 Aug 2007 19:11 #20040 by Trevor Lloyd
Please find attached a copy of my rule proposals for 2007.

This proposal has been seconded and will be put to the AGM. More than happy to take comments, anyone wishing to associate themselves with these proposals please let me know. It might seem like a lot of change but it's only the things we've (the open circuit racers) been discussing and someone has to play devils advocate!.

Existing 1.8.3 Corrector weights may be fitted and shall be of lead fixed to the forward face of the aft bulkhead. Boats certified prior to 1st July 2007 have until 1st July 2008 to change the location of corrector weights from the underside of the thwart to the forward face of the aft bulkhead.
Corrector weights shall be permanently marked with their weight in Arabic numerals of not less than 15mm in height. The total weight of the correctors weights for boats first certificated after the 1st September 1997 shall not be more than 3kg. The number of and weight of each corrector weight, if fitted, shall be recorded on the measurement certificate.

Proposed 1.8.3 Corrector weights may be fitted and shall be lead fixed to the underside of the thwart. Corrector weights shall be permanently marked with their weight in Arabic numerals of not less than 15mm in height. The total weight of the correctors for boats first certificated after the 1st September 1997 shall not be more than 3kg. The number of and weight of each corrector weight, if fitted, shall be recorded on the measurement certificate.

Reasoning:

A deeply unpopular rule change amongst racing wooden boat owners. The class rules have prevented builders legally adding strength and weight into the boat. The rules have now been outdated by the introduction of the new mark3 with it’s designed in additional stiffness and light weight.

Building a light boat is a matter of luck and good storage of wood, material control and finish application. Applying lots of epoxy or paint \ varnish to bring it up to weight doesn’t make the boat stronger.

Cost marginal

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Roger Clark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 08:31 #15427 by Roger Clark
Replied by Roger Clark on topic Corrector Weight Rule AGM 07
I have always thought having the weights on the forward face of the aft bulkhead as being an unsightly position. Moving the weights to nearer the centre of gravity of the boat makes sense as the minimum weight rule tries to stop weak boats being built. Modern epoxies were not available in the early 1960's when the class was conceived and certainly out perform glass resin. As long as all boats weight at or above the weight limit then what is the problem.

Roger

• Eric Taylor
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 12:37 #15431 by Eric Taylor
Replied by Eric Taylor on topic Corrector Weight Rule AGM 07
i think putting the corrector weights on the forward face of the aft tank is unsightly almost all the classes have corrector weight under the thwarp i Know that one boat has 20 kg of lead again this in under the thwarp

• angus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 13:11 #15432 by angus
Replied by angus on topic Corrector Weight Rule AGM 07
I can't remember how we have ended up with a rule requiring retrospective changes to Mirrors that had previously measured.

To undo this rule and any others in this category would satisfy me on the above point alone, never mind having lumps of lead bolted in unsightly places.

More
14 Aug 2007 15:05 #15437 by Paul Hansen
I don't remember this being debated at an AGM and was shocked when Trevor flagged it up.

To me the problems are
- More work to move correctors already fitted
- Unsightly
- Could compromise buoyancy when fitting to the aft tank

I agree with Angus why try to fix a perfectly good system with an inferior one!!

Paul

More
03 Sep 2007 13:42 #15549 by Trevor Lloyd
The AGM saw the proposal voted on and almost unanimously passed to recommend rescinding this rule and reinstating the original wording.

Lets hope our international colleagues view this in the same way and show us their support.

• Simon Lovesey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Sep 2007 15:07 #15551 by Simon Lovesey
Replied by Simon Lovesey on topic Corrector Weight Rule AGM 07
The AGM minutes are still being written up, before we can validate the voting on the rules proposals we need to clarify the position with regards what constitutes a quorum. Although the AGM started with a quorum of voting members present, by the time we got to the rules proposal votes we had fallen below the required number.

MCA Secretary

Time to create page: 0.279 seconds