Building from Plans Proposal AGM 07

More
13 Aug 2007 19:13 #20041 by Trevor Lloyd
Please find attached a copy of my rule proposals for 2007.

This proposal has been seconded and will be put to the AGM. More than happy to take comments, anyone wishing to associate themselves with these proposals please let me know. It might seem like a lot of change but it's only the things we've (the open circuit racers) been discussing and someone has to play devils advocate!.

Rules affecting Wooden boat building

Existing 3.4 Amateur or Professional Builders shall construct Mirrors only from kits supplied by Licensed Kit Manufacturers.

Proposed 3.4 Amateur or Professional Builders shall construct Mirrors only from kits supplied by Licensed Kit Manufacturers or plans supplied by ISAF (Jersey) Ltd.

Reasoning.

Current kit prices within the UK are quite high for wooden boats. These kits are too expensive for emerging markets. Home building is not that prevalent in the UK anymore whether that is due to time, cost or inclination is a matter of debate. Many mirrors are repaired according to the rules illegally (timber) and a number of good builders will not build them as the profit margin is too low. Selling plans is a good revenue source for ISAF, especially as many will not get off the drawing board. ISAF plaques can be obtained as they are in other classes once the boat is completed. One advantage is you get your sail number when it’s finished not when it’s started which may be years later if ever. Cost reduction. Many countries with lower raw material costs could well start building, South Africa is probably a good example.

Affected rules 4.1 & 4.2

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Roger Clark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 08:38 #15428 by Roger Clark
Replied by Roger Clark on topic Building from Plans Proposal AGM 07
A welcome change as it will allow a change that many think is long overdue. Personally I would like to see possibly to extend this to allow certain wood panels to be thickened for additional strength, alternative timbers including decorative veneers. Stronger, stiffer wooden boats should be better to sail and last longer. Many other classes have excellent veneers, but the Mirror class has only boring plywood originating from the original conception of a budget boat for the people. Well times have changed and so must the class.

Roger

• Simon Lovesey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 14:14 #15435 by Simon Lovesey
Replied by Simon Lovesey on topic Building from Plans Proposal AGM 07
I certainly believe we need to be doing more to encourage amateur wood boat building and there are aspects of the existing kit and materials that need to be revisited in light of current developments that were simply not available when the Mirror was originally designed.

With regards this particular proposal, we need to clarify the logistics of making plans available, collecting and administrating royalties etc, potential impact on measurement process. Currently only licenced builders can make kits, this gives a high level of control and a structure to administer the process.

We should not underestimate the amount of work releasing plans could produce, this may result in resources being redirected from other areas. The recent round of rule changes have consumed a massive amount of time of several committee members.

It may be we can achieve a similar outcome through improvements to the kit to make them cheaper and avoid a vast administrative burden.

MCA Secretary

• Roger Clark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2007 15:24 #15438 by Roger Clark
Replied by Roger Clark on topic Building from Plans Proposal AGM 07
Might I suggest the only way plans can be obtained is if a transom is supplied with the sail number engraved in it. Once the dinghy is built a plate is then fixed alongside to show the boat has been made from plans and conforms to the class design because it has been measured.

This would make it easy to see any boats that do not have the official transom and then action could be taken against the owner for royalty fees for unauthorised use of plans.

I do not believe there are many individuals wanting to buy/build a new Mirror in this country who do not want to race it and the rules amostly apply to racing craft. Besides there are so many good examples already available on the secondhand market to satisfy those who wish to learn the basics of sailing or go cruising.

In markets where there are few craft at present, like South Africa, it would still be a cost effective way of issuing plans and helping start an active fleet.

Roger

More
14 Aug 2007 16:01 #15439 by Trevor Lloyd
Hi All

I can only speak from experience in a number of other classes. You build the boat, complete the builders declaration and send off your cheque to ISAF. They send you a plaque and number which you put on your nice new boat, latest number on a new boat just like the builders of plastic boats can do.

PS Roger I have out a proposal together that allows people a range of panel thickness so that boats can be built to compete with teh stiffness of the new MK3.

Trevor

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds