MK 3

• atom
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2007 15:03 #20062 by atom
MK 3 was created by atom
I am a little confused by all the rule changes being proposed at the AGM this weekend.
Has the design of the new MK3 Mirror been voted on/adopted by the national association, or indeed the international association yet? I note from the minutes of the last AGM at Hillhead, which I attended, that a redesign of the Mirror 'was to be considered' but as far as I understand from correspondence on this site, nothing has been officially adopted unless all the rule change proposals take this into consideration!
I may well have missed some important meetings or rulings, so please excuse me if I am going off at a tangent!

A concerned parent who owns 3 Mirrors which will now be worth considerably less money!!

Nick Harvey
Cornwall

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Roger Clark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2007 15:48 #15497 by Roger Clark
Replied by Roger Clark on topic MK 3
As an owner of 2 Mirrors currently, alas classic old ones, I doubt if the value of the older Mirrors will be affected in the slightest. It is only at the highest level of racing will the changes be felt, and then only slightly. From all the discussions over the past few weeks on this site it seems as thought there is little difference between between the wooden boats and the Mk2 glassfibre boats, gaff rig and bermudian mast.

Ultimately the value of any secondhand boat is what anyone else is prepared to pay for it. Think about what you would require in a secondhand boat. Condition is very important, so if you do not maintain your boat it will be worth less. The type of sails and fittings will alter the price slightly or make a particular boat more attractive to own. Whether it has a launching trolley and or road trailer can greatly alter the value. Also if it has a mast up and/or flat cover, and possibly an undercover if you travel to open meetings. Anything lacking can always be added or amended later

This is all before we consider the price. Initially if the Mk3 performs with greater success than existing boats, I feel sure it will have to be altered to make it less competitive. Only after the Nationals will we know, but ultimately the result will depend on who pulls the strings and a bit of luck.

Personally I think the Mk3 will make the class better and bring extra interest to the class, which will keep the secondhand market alive with a steady supply of top racing boats for club sailors and the Mk3's are sold. I still prefer a wooden boat, even though it has higher maintenance, I like a varnished interior and find the bland GRP not to my taste. Maybe in the future there will be a version with a GRP hull and part wooden interior.

The proposed rule changes will only remove some of the current anomilies relating to wooden boats that the Mk3 has brought to light due to it's construction, especially the floor being 12mm thick. Let us embrace these minor changes to our rules in the interest of the class as a whole. We have been promised that these will be the last major changes for some years, a bit like how the racing rules are updated every 4 years.

I will not be at the AGM, but suggest everyone should vote for the changes.

Roger

• atom
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2007 16:26 #15498 by atom
Replied by atom on topic MK 3
Roger,

I think you have missed my main point which is that as far as I can tell, the class has not voted on accepting the design of the MK3 hull. All the rule proposals put forward to the AGM do not refer to this fact!

I accept that the class must move forward but it must be done in the correct way. Our boats have already lagged behind current thinking as they still have traditional rigs but were reasonably competitive last year at major events.

Nick Harvey

• Simon Lovesey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Aug 2007 16:56 #15499 by Simon Lovesey
Replied by Simon Lovesey on topic MK 3
The MK3 was approved by the International Class and ISAF this year.

No rule changes can be passed at individual national association AGMs, but as happened at the 2006 UK AGM we can pass recommendations to International.

There has been an enormous input into this rule change by all the Mirror Nations and more lately ISAF.

The rule proposals this weekend mainly revolve round the wood boats, as you may remember from 2006 AGM it was agreed that the wood boats should not be left behind, these proposals are the start of this process

MCA Secretary

• Roger Clark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2007 10:08 #15503 by Roger Clark
Replied by Roger Clark on topic MK 3
Simon

Thank you for clarifying that the Mk3 has been approved and that the proposed rule changes are only recommendations for acceptance from the International Mirror Class.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds