Spinnaker Numbering

• lilly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2006 18:37 #19284 by lilly
Spinnaker Numbering was created by lilly
Given we are using jib numbers for the competition can we have confirmation regarding rule 7.5.3

Do the spinnakers have to be boat plaque numbered at this event?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2006 00:09 #12415 by Paul Hansen
Replied by Paul Hansen on topic Spinnaker Numbering
It should be for every event, it is a measuremment requirement.

• angus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2006 16:37 #12419 by angus
Replied by angus on topic Spinnaker Numbering
We know what 7.5.3 says but look at what happened before the worlds and all the use of the black pen at the last minute.

Measurers are measuring spinnakers and without enforcing this rule. My estimate is that about 90% of spinnakers are not numbered.

Whats the advice from the Head of the Measurement team at the Nationals / Europeans ?

Be quick or Poole will run out of black markers on Friday evening!!

More
18 Jul 2006 09:49 #12422 by Martin Egan
Replied by Martin Egan on topic Spinnaker Numbering
Hi Angus,

According to my technical contact in ISAF, the sail numbers and national letters are NOT part of "fundamental measurement" (an term defined in the Equipment Rules of Sailing). That means a measurer can measure and pass a sail with no numbers or no letters. This happens a lot in other classes, for example the Laser, where sails are shipped measured, but without the numbers being stuck on (they come loose I think for the owner to stick on). As "In-House" certification (where Sailmakers with sufficiently good quality systems are able to certifiy their own sails as measuring) becomes more common this will happen more and more.

HOWEVER, the requirement for numbers and national letters is part of the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS). It's rule 77 and appendix G. This means that it is the Owners responsibility to ensure that the sails they are using comply with the class rules and the RRS regarding sail numbers and letters. So YOU have to make sure YOUR sails have the correct numbers on, of the correct size, in the correct place, and so on. If you fail to do so you will be leaving yourself open to being protested.

It is items like this which are the Owners responsibility that ISAF recommend are checked at a regatta.

We will be checking that the national letters on mainsails and the numbers on mainsails and spinnakers agree with the boat number as per rule 7.5.3. They must be fully "blocked in" (not just outlines)

I'm not sure about your reference to the 2005 Worlds and marker pens. I don't remember anything about this in the Measureres report.

MCA Webmaster 2011 - 2018

• angus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2006 11:32 #12423 by angus
Replied by angus on topic Spinnaker Numbering
Thanks for the response Martin, I hope everyone reads it before Friday.

The rush was before the Worlds when the same question was asked last summer. The answer came before the measurement team were presented with the spinnakers and the blacking out had already been done.

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2006 23:52 #12439 by LevanteIRL67592
Replied by LevanteIRL67592 on topic Spinnaker Numbering
If anyone protests for that sort of thing they should be shot. Repeatedly. In the groin. Events should be won on the water, not in the protest room

Time to create page: 0.233 seconds