Positioning of 2 strips on bottom side of hull

• a_goodman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2007 17:35 #20018 by a_goodman
Hi

I'm replacing the aft bottom panels on my mirror. I've got them on, but have realised i haven't got the dimensions for positioning the 2 strips that run from front to back on the outside of the bottom panels, in line with the inner edge of the bouyancy tanks. Afraid i also don't know what i should be calling them!

Is there anyone that can give me a measurement from say the transom to the back end of the strips?

I'd love to get them on tonight if possible!

Thanks
Andy

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• flyingpig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2007 18:32 #15383 by flyingpig
Replied by flyingpig on topic Positioning of 2 strips on bottom side of hull
I just happen to have two boats sat outside this evening.......
One measures 30" from the transom to the strip and the other meaures 32" (76 and 81cm if you prefer) I estimate the front of the strip is about a foot (15cm) behind the stowage bulkheaad.
Good luck !
If I'd had the guts to replace whole panels like you I wouldn't now have two boats (or one boat and a half made garden bench!)

pigs might.....

• a_goodman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2007 18:43 #15384 by a_goodman
Replied by a_goodman on topic Positioning of 2 strips on bottom side of hull
That's great - thanks a lot!

I'm begining to wish i hadn't started though... I'm not surprised by how much work there is, but the weather we've been having hasn't made it easy to get sailing yet this year (after cutting the old bottom out in April, and ending up with only weekends to work on it!) Getting there now though.

It's also costing a lot in West epoxy - I wanted to coat the new panels with it as well as using it for the joints... i'm on my third A Pack now. I'd reccomend anyone else doing this to just buy the bigger, much better value pack from the start (although approx £90 is a scary amount to spend on glue in one go!)

• toddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Jul 2007 06:42 #15386 by toddy
Are you sure you are using the West correctly ?
My entire boat only used one 'B' pack that included all joining fairing and 2 coats

I think the secret is the dispensers as you can mix small amounts with very little waste

Edited by - toddy on 29 July 2007 07:43:16

More
29 Jul 2007 10:47 #15390 by Trevor Lloyd
The class rules tell you where to put the bilge keels. Extract from 07 class rules here.

1.4.9 The bilge keels shall conform with the diagram. They shall be not less than 13mm in width and not less than 9mm depth for a length of not less than 915mm.

750mm +-30mm from aft face of aft transom
405mm +-30mm from centreline

If you pull up a copy of the rules from the ISAF website there is a neat little diagram.

Toddy is right about the amount of epoxy as I used about the same amount on my boat, so you shouldn't need much more than one a pack or you'll be adding lots of weight.

Good luck

Trevor

• flyingpig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Jul 2007 12:01 #15391 by flyingpig
Replied by flyingpig on topic Positioning of 2 strips on bottom side of hull
Sorry Andy - I hope you used the 30" not the 32". There's me trying to be helpful when you were in a hurry but I never thought to check the rules in the MCA handbook. The diagram indicates the measurement on a horizontal line rather than on the slope of the hull bottom, but even so it looks as if, at 32", my FP2 would fail the measurers' test.

pigs might.....

More
29 Jul 2007 12:31 #15392 by Trevor Lloyd
Andy

I guess this is a little late.

The trick about applying west is to apply with a roller and spread it out, when the first coat has cured enough to just about get a finger nail in it roller on a second coat. That should be all you need, when cured wash off with soapy water and dry off with towels to remove the bloom. Flat with 80 grit down to 240.

I take my hat off to you repairing an old boat that way, it's a lot of work. Probably wouldn't have taken you much longer to build a new one!

Trevor

• a_goodman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Jul 2007 13:50 #15393 by a_goodman
Replied by a_goodman on topic Positioning of 2 strips on bottom side of hull
Well thanks to everyone for the advice. I did go with the 30", and i'm not all that worried about it being absolutely perfect as i only race it at a small local club. My aim is a strong, sound boat that can take my weight!

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds