Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 749

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 1860

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2519

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2573

Structure Inside Side Tanks

• Stewart
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Nov 2008 02:08 #20390 by Stewart
Structure Inside Side Tanks was created by Stewart
We have 58325. I deduce there is some form of stiffening under the upper surface of the side tank (ie the bit you sit on!). This appears to have recently become detached and slaps up against the underside of the sidedeck when towing - very noisy!
We don't (yet) have access hatches nearby and I cannot work out the internal detail. I've seen photos of one build showing 'side to side' reinforcement but that doesn't fit the bill here. Is there likely to be a front to back batten glued under the sidedeck? If so wouldn't it be notched in at each end?
Any guidance on how it was detailed and/ or how to effect a repair would be gratefully recieved.
Stewart - 58325 - Lightning

Edited by - stewart on 03 November 2008 02:10:23

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Roger Clark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Nov 2008 10:02 #16308 by Roger Clark
Replied by Roger Clark on topic Structure Inside Side Tanks
It was a very long time ago when I built a Mirror and I cannot fully remember inside the side tanks.

However I would suggest you look at
http://mirror70407.com/decking.aspx
as this shows a Mirror being built in the USA and there is a support shown in the photographs. I would expect yours to be similar in the way it has been built.

If the support batten has come loose then I would expect the only way to fix it will be to remove the top of the side tank. I doubt if fitting an inspection hatch will give you enough room to glue it back completely.

Roger Clark

More
03 Nov 2008 20:48 #16309 by Peter Robinson
Hi Stewart,

I renovated our 30 odd year old Mirror25004 this time last year because we were suffering from a similar problem. The supporting batten had come adrift from the underneath of the side tanks. The top of the tanks went very spongy.

I tried to look at the pictures that Roger reffered you to but was unable to get the photo's to show up on my browser.

However, we did an initial short term repair last summer by screwing some long but quite fine screws through the deck and into the batten. The batten on our boat was about 20mm x 20mm square and it ran down the middle of the side tank top. It had originally been glued and tacked into position. When we took the decks off to fix it properly we found it was not fasten into the structure at all, just laid in place Our boat had no other support structure in the side tank other than the four bits of ply that formed it eg. bottom and side of hull and top of side tank and side of cockpit. Once inside the tank there was:
1.a battern runing at deck level on the inside of the hull,
2.a batten running on the top corner of the cockpit.
These were both about 20mm square and both had also begun to come adrift. They all needed carefully removing and epoxy glueing back together.
Hope this helps.
M25004 and M70534

• Richard Larson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Nov 2008 19:35 #16332 by Richard Larson
Replied by Richard Larson on topic Structure Inside Side Tanks
If you do go to the trouble of removing the side tank tops to repair this (and you will probably need to do so), consider a transverse attachment of the battens in the repair rather than the classic longitudinal orientation. This produces greater strength and stiffness, although it also is a bit more complicated. (You must cut the battens into short lengths and shape their ends to angle them properly.)
-Richard Larson (70369)

• Stewart
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Dec 2008 00:10 #16357 by Stewart
Replied by Stewart on topic Structure Inside Side Tanks
Thanks for the guidance. If nothing else I think I now know what is hidden away in the tank! Will start with the 'long screw' approach and will reserve taking off the sidedeck as a last resort. Hope it hangs together for the kids in the Bronze Fleet at next year's nationals!
Stewart - 58325 - Lightning

Edited by - stewart on 02 December 2008 00:11:32

Time to create page: 0.189 seconds