Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 749

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 1860

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2519

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2573

Restoring a mirror -help please!

• John Kelly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Mar 2009 08:48 #20481 by John Kelly
Restoring a mirror -help please! was created by John Kelly
I am sure this has been asked hundreds of times but I am new here.

I have stripped all the varnish from the inside of my Mirror using paint stripper, but am unsure what to do about the tapes on the joins. In some places I have abraded these and revealed the glass matting, but all the tapes are well stuck down. is it OK just to pain a strip of resin over the tapes?

Also, in the footwell, is it advisable to resin coat the wood before varnishing for extra waterproofing?

Thanks

John Kelly

John Kelly

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2009 10:03 #16472 by Peter Robinson
Hi John,

I would give the tapes a thin coat of epoxy resin, - polyester will do but epoxy is better. and then jus paint/varnish over them.

on the issue of the footwell if you paint epoxy onto the wood it will go on comparitively thick and adds lots of weight to the boat. I would suggest that you scrape the first layer of epoxy onto the wood keeping your scraper at a shallow angle to really squeeze the mixture into the grain. This produces a nice finish and does not use anywhere near as much epoxy resin as painting it on would

Best wishes
Peter

More
14 Mar 2009 10:11 #16473 by Martin Egan
Hi John,

If the tapes are well stuck down, then yes, I think you can just paint one or two coats of resin over them where the matting is exposed. You don't say how old the boat is and what sort of resin you are using. Old boats were made using polyester resin which is OK, but modern boats tend to use epoxy which is much, much better and that is what I recommend you use. West System and SP Systems are common in the UK and both publish excellent advise and CDs about how to use their products. Try www.west-system.co.uk or www.spsystems.com or the shop where you brought the resin may have leaflets or CDs.

Coating the cockpit floor with epoxy is really a matter of personal choice. West and SP recommend it (but they would as they are trying to sell more resin). If you were building from scratch you can coat each component (panel, stringer, floor batten,...) before you put put the boat together and this is what the manufacturers recommend. If you just coat the inside of the cockpit floor, water can still get into the floor panels via the inside of the buoyancy tanks, or from the outside of the hull (depending on how well these have been finished and if there are nails holding the floor battens down etc water can get in here). If you do decide to coat, follow the manufacturers instructions.

Bear in mind that epoxy resin is NOT resistant to UV light (unlike polyester resin), so will break down (becomes brittle and cracks off) if it is not protected with a paint or varnish coating that stops UV getting through. So you must not skimp on the painting or varnishing just because you have coated wth epoxy (and check the varnish you are using is UV resistant).

Personally I don't coat with epoxy, but I recommend 2-pack polyuerthane paint and varnish (I use International, but I expect other makes are just as good). I prime with Universal Clear Primer (UCP) thinned 20% with thinner no 9 (as recommended). Problem with 2-pack is that you can't use it on top of existing one-pack, but if you have stripped off the cockpit floor that it will be OK. Also it's expensive, you need different (expensive) thinners (white spirit is no good), the hardener component has an annoying habit of going off in the tin if you keep it for a long time and if you don't clean your paint brushes properly, they will set rock hard. If you have a mixture of 1-pack and 2-pack on your boat (like me), you need to remember what is where, so when you repaint or revarnish you put the correct stuff on.

Edited by - MartinEgan on 14 March 2009 10:18:22

Edited by - MartinEgan on 14 March 2009 10:20:10

MCA Webmaster 2011 - 2018

• Ron Elliot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jun 2009 18:23 #16532 by Ron Elliot
Replied by Ron Elliot on topic Restoring a mirror -help please!
Martin,

How many coats of 2-pack varnish would you put on, and how do you best apply it?

Thanks,

Ron

Whisper 849

More
08 Jun 2009 20:31 #16534 by Martin Egan
Hi Ron,

As a general rule , the more coats you put on in accordance with the manufacturers instructions, the better the wood will be protected and the deeper the lusture and smoother the result. Bear in mind that the manufacturer will probably say each coat needs to be allowed to harden properly and then be rubbed down wet with 240 or finer paper before the next coat is applied. So more coats are more time consuming and cost more, but with luck you won't have to redo it so quickly.

I use International with their UCP as priming coat. I would put on a minimum of 2 coats of UCP plus two coats of varnish (so total of 4). On a cockpit floor I would increase that to 2 coats UCP + 4 coats varnish as it gets a lot of wear (and use a non-slip additive in the last coat to stop yourself falling over). But the boat will look better with 6 coats everywhere and 8 on the floor. But you can play it by ear a bit, if it looks OK after 4 coats, then stop. Otherwise let it harden, rub down and put another coat on.

MCA Webmaster 2011 - 2018

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds