Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 749

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 1860

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2519

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2573

Rudders

• pugwash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Aug 2009 13:17 #20540 by pugwash
Rudders was created by pugwash
I would be interested in comments on the two uphaul and downhaul systems I have come across. We bought our Mirror second hand 4 years ago and have used the rudder setup as it was when we got it, that is, fitted with both uphaul and downhaul lanyards and locking cleats. This has been fine and has presented no real problems until this year when we launched from a lee shore in a spritely 16 knot breeze at Poole Harbour. Having to tack almost parallel to the shore to get out(shallow water and so little or no daggerboard down) led to a collision between an underwater obstacle (or the harbour bottom !!)and our rudder which ripped the downhaul out at it's roots and left us with limited steerage. So my mind turned to the spare bits I've picked up over the years including a rudder and tiller assembly with a piece of 10mm shock cord that effects the downhaul and a lanyard to uphaul with. I quite fancy the idea of using this but having tested the pull of the shock cord I am curious to find out whether or not the water resistance produced during forward motion will not cause the rudder to lift leaving me with limited steerage again. I am at the stage of giving our poor little boat some long needed TLC and would like to change the rudder but I am also keen to find out experienced Mirror sailors opinions on the two systems.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2009 20:33 #16575 by Peter Robinson
Replied by Peter Robinson on topic Rudders
Hi
My own experience is that it always pays to have the rudder firmly held down. However one heeds to have a quick realease system so that when you get into dodgy situations or are comming ashore faster than expected you can let it go with the minimum delay.

There are some specially designed Clamcleats for just this purpose
Hope this helps
Regards
Peter

• pugwash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Aug 2009 12:06 #16576 by pugwash
Replied by pugwash on topic Rudders
Peter, thanks for that. You have confirmed my thoughts. Having the rudder firmly down gives you best control. I've found the auto-release clamcleats you mention on the Trident website great stuff. Cheers.

• timunderwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Aug 2009 20:59 #16583 by timunderwood
Replied by timunderwood on topic Rudders
Useful info on rudders. Thanks Pugwash

• PeterS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Aug 2009 00:41 #16584 by PeterS
Replied by PeterS on topic Rudders
Ooo, I think that's debatable.

I would agree with Peter about keeping the rudder down in 16 knots at Poole and generally with any moderate to heavy winds anywhere. But at my home club, it's quite frequent to sit on a lake of glass for an hour with constant leeward heel and the rudder blade half way up to reduce resistance. Call it a club myth, but a number of the mirror sailors at our club do it :D

Just thought I'd throw it out there!

• pugwash
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2009 08:07 #16586 by pugwash
Replied by pugwash on topic Rudders
Ha ha PeterS, been there, got the Tshirt..!! It's even more embarrassing when it happens on Abersoch Bay with hords of Wet Bikes and ski boats circling you like angry wasps!! Then it is useful to have the rudder halfway up and gently fan it back and forth to create a little headway..!! It takes me back into the distant mists of the past when I was first taught how to sail on Bassenthwaite Lake in GP14s. We had a great day with just the right amount of breeze and were all budding Francis Chichesters. So it was decided to have a little race at the end of the day, and guess what..!! we all got out into the middle of the lake and sombody turned the fan off..!!. By dusk it was agreed that the winner was the one who got back to the pontoon without a tow..!! Happy days!

• PeterS
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2009 10:29 #16587 by PeterS
Replied by PeterS on topic Rudders
Ahh, sounds fun!
I have to say that one of the advantages of sailing on a lake is that when the wind gets a bit gentle you can accidentally run aground and be forced to push off again! What a shame.

I can remember one Wednesday evening in particular when a Mirror waited until about 30 seconds till the start and just pushed off the jetty. He went whizzing past the rest of the fleet ( RS200's and supernovas ) to the annoyance of the rest of the club and won the race

Ahh, good times!

Time to create page: 0.379 seconds