Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 749

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 1860

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2519

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2573

Footrest loose

• tim blanch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Aug 2009 13:41 #20546 by tim blanch
Footrest loose was created by tim blanch
The footrest in my mirror has come slightly loose at one end, and the fixing has cracked the paint causing a leak. I can't see what type of fixing it is. Should I drill it out from the inside of the boat. Plus do I need to use fixings to put it back or could it fix it with epoxy and tape. Fixings penetrating the hull always seem to cause problems.

thanks

tim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• huxley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Aug 2009 16:53 #16588 by huxley
Replied by huxley on topic Footrest loose
When I took the footrest out of a 53xxx boat during a renovation it was secured from the outside by 4 brass screws and secured inside with polyester resin and tape.

So mine was removed by locating the screws - not difficult for me as I'd stripped the outside. Then I applied some heat with a hot air gun to finally remove it.

It was eventually refitted by re-screwing and epoxy resin and tape.

Mark

• tim blanch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2009 18:45 #16589 by tim blanch
Replied by tim blanch on topic Footrest loose
Thanks for that. I am not sure though whether screwing the footrest through the hull adds any strength, and what i find is that when the hull flexes in use, any screws tend to crack the paint finish.

tim

More
17 Aug 2009 18:58 #16590 by Martin Egan
Replied by Martin Egan on topic Footrest loose
Hi Tim,

The original building instructions tell you to glue it in and secure with 4 evenly spaced 3/4" X no 8 screws from the outside. If you look carefully at the outside of the hull you might be able to spot where the screw heads are. Often filler etc. shrinks slightly and this shows up. Not sure how old your boat is, but in my experience the Aerolite 306 glue they used to supply with kits breaks down eventually so this could be part of the problem. Also the bottom panels flex quite a bit so you get a lot of stress on the footrest ends and floor battens.

I tend to agree with you about fixings - I've refitted my footrest and floor battens without them. If you don't already have a hole in the centre of the footrest, now is a good time to add one so water drains past it. As you suggest, use epoxy resin with adhesive thickeners (colloidial silica, microfibres,..) to make a gap filling glue, then I would make a generous epoxy fillet all around it to increase the surface area of the bond. You can put tape plus epoxy resin over the fillet if you want. Follow epoxy manufacturers instuctions at each stage, they usually have a website with advise, such as here www.west-system.co.uk

MCA Webmaster 2011 - 2018

• tim blanch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Aug 2009 18:10 #16591 by tim blanch
Replied by tim blanch on topic Footrest loose
Many thanks martin, I will follow your advice.

tim

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds