Forward and Side Deck replacement

• tmjs
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2009 10:19 #20549 by tmjs
Forward and Side Deck replacement was created by tmjs
Hi everyone

after much debating I am going to proceed with another attempt at restoring my mirror.

I spent much time a couple of years ago restoring the hull and it was looking great and then transport of the dinghy incurred some damage by the person that transported it. I have put off re doing the rest of the work as it really disheartened me. But recent help with a larger restoration has restored my faith.

I am trying to work out whether it would be better to purchase sheets of marine ply or buy the already cut parts from trident?

I was also wondering whether anyone has any suggestions for removal of the old forward and side decks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, sarah

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2009 19:36 #16593 by Peter Robinson
Hi Sarah.
We did a similar renervation on our old boat two years ago.

If you change the decks, my understanding is that the current rule states that one should buy the panels from a licenced builder. However on very old boats that you want to cruise in or use for club racing or training you will have to use your own judgement.

Our decks were quite easy to remove. We striped all the fibre glass tape off between the decks and the hull. If you can get hold of the end of a piece of tape with a pair of pliers or vice grips and give it a good yank they tended to tear off quite easily.

We cut a hole in each piece of deck we wanted to remove large enough to get a heavy hammer inside, being careful not to damage any of the bulkheads below them and knocked the decks off from undeneath.

Hope this helps
Regards Peter

• timunderwood
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2009 22:11 #16598 by timunderwood
Replied by timunderwood on topic Forward and Side Deck replacement
I have recently been finding that after removal of the tape (see above).That the panels will often come away by insertion of a chisel under the edge. Glue seems to have rotted and pins pull out.I found the battens into which the pins go are also often loose and will need cleaning and re gluing

• John Hugo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2009 18:58 #16601 by John Hugo
Replied by John Hugo on topic Forward and Side Deck replacement
When I redecked an old mirror four years ago, I built in stiffening pieces, (part bulkheads), between the outside of the hull and the sides of the cockpit. These pieces were trimmed to fit and taped in place, opposite each end of the thwart. I believe this adds considerably to the stiffness of the hull and is simple to do. You could use waste ply from the old decks. If you are weight concious, you could cut a hole in each stiffener, leaving at least 50mm of ply all round. Good luck with the repair.

John Hugo

More
30 Aug 2009 14:33 #16603 by Trevor Lloyd
Just as a cautionary note. As sensible as adding reinforcement is ( and the boats need it in some area's IMHO) if the boat is ever to be raced, then as the existing class rules stand it can't be done. Keeping a boat race (and class) legal enhances it's value. If of course it's just for fun, then it's up to you what you do.

• John Hugo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Sep 2009 22:20 #16605 by John Hugo
Trello ,, are you sure about the rules? I am about to depart for a sailing holiday in afew hours and can't check this out. I believe that stiffeners are available as standard from Trident, and are fitted as standard in most recent professionall built Mirrors. I will check this out on my return. I agree with you on the importance of conforming to the rules.

John Hugo

• John Hugo
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Sep 2009 10:10 #16606 by John Hugo
I should apologise Trello. I'm sure that as a measurer you know the rules far better than I. Perhaps you were cautioning generally against " out of class" reinforcement generally.
With regard to "stiffeners" which I suggested, these are clearly permitted by PART B 1.6.17; "A bulkhead or strut of plywood or ply may be fitted in each side tank in the vicinity of the thwart" The wording is fairly unspecific, but the reuse of waste deck ply woul conform with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. A very narrow interpretation of 1.2.1 might appear to require the purpose made bulkheads to be bought from a Licensed Kit Manufcturer. I would value your opinion.

• dsmithers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Sep 2009 16:03 #16615 by dsmithers
Replied by dsmithers on topic Forward and Side Deck replacement
Another tip for removing resin - you can soften it with a hot-air gun and then scrape it away. Need to be careful if you only want to getthe paint off.

dan

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds