Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 749

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 1860

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2519

Deprecated: Array and string offset access syntax with curly braces is deprecated in /home/linweb17/u/ukmirrorsailing.com-1064102007/user/htdocs/libraries/vendor/leafo/lessphp/lessc.inc.php on line 2573

detached paint

• phasmid4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2010 08:54 #20753 by phasmid4
detached paint was created by phasmid4
I have an elderly mirror which I have not used for a while and is kept at the sailing club. Inspecting it yesterday, I noticed a section of paint was loose on the hull. It had a thin veneer of ply attached to the strip of paint. Obviously the hull needs stripping back and repainting. What should I do to repair this and stop it happening again?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• dsmithers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jul 2010 12:04 #20754 by dsmithers
Replied by dsmithers on topic detached paint
Paint peeling is a fact of life with wooden boats.

You can paint the dodgy patches - just clean off any loose paint and repaint. I use the old fashined primer - undercoat - topcoat(s).

Use proper marine paint or varnish.

The most important thing is to make sure that the wood you are painting on is sound and dry. Replace any rot before you repaint.

More
15 Jul 2010 13:46 #20755 by Martin Egan
Replied by Martin Egan on topic detached paint
Not disagreeing with anything said so far, but it sounds like the ply could be de-laminating. If this is the case you need to try and diagnose the cause - poor quality ply, void in the inner veneer, rot,..... If it's restricted to a small area, and not due to rot, you may be able to repair it by working some glue ( I would use epoxy with thickening additives) between the veneers. As this area is to be painted, you can fill in spaces made by missing veneer with epoxy. If it's a larger area, or due to rot, you may have to cut out the bad area of ply and fit a new patch, or even replace a whole panel.

MCA Webmaster 2011 - 2018

• phasmid4
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Jul 2010 19:02 #20758 by phasmid4
Replied by phasmid4 on topic detached paint
Thanks for the help. This is a patch in the middle of the hull, so I cannot work glue into the laminates. If I painted it with glue /epoxy, would this soak enough into the ply to help? If so so what glue/epoxy should I use.

More
20 Jul 2010 19:27 #20759 by Martin Egan
Replied by Martin Egan on topic detached paint
If some of the outer veneer has come off (as I understand has happened from your first post) then you should be able to work a little epoxy glue in between the outer and inner veneer layers at the edges where the piece of outer veneer is missing. I suggest using a thin sharp knife blade to do this.

Epoxy would not soak in through the veneer, but painting some onto the outside might help strengthen things a bit if the ply is dry and there is not rot.

I use West epoxy http://www.westsystem.com/ss/ , but I'm sure other brands like SP are just as good. I would use colloidal silica (West ref 406) and microfibres (West ref 403) as thickening agents to make the epoxy a great gap filling wood glue. You won't need much epoxy, but even a small pack plus these two additives may appear rather expensive, however it is a good investment - epoxy can be used in so many ways, for taping joins, wood glue, filleting, filling and fairing.

MCA Webmaster 2011 - 2018

Time to create page: 0.282 seconds