Paint for hull

• John Pye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2006 08:52 #18949 by John Pye
Paint for hull was created by John Pye
Hi
Can anyone tell mw what kind of paint I should use for a repaint on the outside of the hull?
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• flyingpig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2006 15:29 #11498 by flyingpig
Replied by flyingpig on topic Paint for hull
I've found International paints "toplac" easy to use and pretty tough. You can of course go even further up market .............

pigs can....and do.....

More
18 Feb 2006 17:40 #11500 by Trevor Lloyd
Replied by Trevor Lloyd on topic Paint for hull
I assume you mean 2 pack marine paint? Personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, I only use automotive 2 pack it's cheaper, better choice of colours and goes just as hard. It can also be controlled more easily in terms of thinning and working time and polishes well.

N2O

• John Pye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2006 18:18 #11502 by John Pye
Replied by John Pye on topic Paint for hull
Hi Thanks for the response.
This is a 1980 family cruising boat that's been stored for most of its life. I don't think it has any ambitions for serious performance, so it needs nothing fancy, just needs a bit of TLC to keep it going for another 25 years or so.
John

• John Pye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2006 18:20 #11503 by John Pye
Hi Thanks for the response.
This is a 1980 family cruising boat that's been stored for most of its life. I don't think it has any ambitions for serious performance, so it needs nothing fancy, just needs a bit of TLC to keep it going for another 25 years or so.
Does the reference to automotive mean it should be sprayed and polished like a car?
John

• Sinker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2006 22:36 #11506 by Sinker
Replied by Sinker on topic Paint for hull
Use International 1 pack paint.(called Toplac?) It represents a good compromise of cost/ease of application/performance.

What is more important is the preparation you do & the way you apply it:- Have as good a base as you possibly can, that is totally grease free, as for application; I would have to ask spousey!

Sinker

Edited by - sinker on 18 February 2006 22:37:31

• ASW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2006 22:52 #11507 by ASW
Replied by ASW on topic Paint for hull
Hi John,
I responded to an almost identical question on the Fireball site recently. You do not need to spend lots by using marine paints, modern quality household paints are equally good and often produce a higher quality finish. Marine paints are only essential for boats being left in the water for long periods of time ie. cruisers, keelboats etc...
Most dinghies spend a very short time in the water (a few hours at a time)and therefore do not need that level of protection.
Making sure that the prep of the hull is good and sound is far more important. Once you have a sound base to work on, apply (with small foam radiator roller) 1 coat of undercoat. When dry flat back with 240 grade (preferably on a DA or orbital sander) Apply 2nd undercoat as before, leave to dry and if you don't have any imperfections(dust, runs etc..) apply top coat of gloss. That`s it!!!
The mirror I refurbed 4 years ago for my lads is still perfect and I only used a Dulux topcoat over blakes marine undercoat over an epoxy base - 1 coat of each.

Any queries give me a ring, the advice is free.
Cheers,
Andy

ASW Boatbuilding & repairs. 07966 513147

• ASW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Feb 2006 22:55 #11508 by ASW
Replied by ASW on topic Paint for hull
ps John - International do make good paints but don't use the foam roller method - it's about the only paint it does not work well with.

ASW Boatbuilding & repairs. 07966 513147

• John Pye
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Feb 2006 07:58 #11509 by John Pye
Brilliant
Thank you all for your replies.
John