Outboard Advise please

• adriangage
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2007 11:26 #19679 by adriangage
Outboard Advise please was created by adriangage
Hi I have recently purchased an old mirror and would like some advise as to what size outboard I can use when not sailing? I read somewhere; many years ago that a 2 or 2.5 HP could be used, don't remember where, but what about a lightweight 5 hp Mercury used at low revs?I would appreciate any ideas.
Regards Adrian

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• chrissonofjohn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Feb 2007 10:52 #14296 by chrissonofjohn
Replied by chrissonofjohn on topic Outboard Advise please
Adriangage
The mirror I recently purchased also came with a outboard - 4hp Johnson I was told that I should get some board approx 1-2cm thick to protect the transom
Interestingly the seller mentioned there was a technical measurement re outboard motors for mirrors that they should not exceed a certain size/weight/horsepower/whatever. I wasnt paying too close attention since it was not my intention to use the outboard.

Anyway it works OK

Chris

• adriangage
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Feb 2007 14:18 #14302 by adriangage
Replied by adriangage on topic Outboard Advise please
Hi Chris Many thanks Adrian

More
03 Feb 2007 15:54 #14303 by Burl Solomons
You should be OK with anything up to 5 hp. A 2 stroke weighs less, so is infinitely preferable on a light boat like the Mirror. Also if you lay a 4 stroke down wrong, the oil can get out and mess the whole engine up...

2 hp may not be enough in tidal waters, and with a heavy load it will struggle anyway - 4hp is probably as much as you want / need, and will keep the weight down to 12-14 kilos. Make sure it's a short shaft - a long shaft will mess up the handling.

The transom of a Mirror is a very soft wood - you do need outboard pads - you can get ABS plastic outboard pads for about £7.00 a pair that you can screw to the boat. These weigh next to nothing, and aren't too unsightly.

Good luck with the old boat!

Burl

• adriangage
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Feb 2007 17:39 #14370 by adriangage
Many thanks for the reply Burl,but its probably a silly question, but why will a long shaft effect the handling

Cheers

Adrian

More
12 Feb 2007 22:30 #14373 by Burl Solomons
Hi there - the long shaft will affect the handling by pushing the boat from lower down, and will tend to pull the bow down into the water. If you plane on the outboard it will be much harder with a long shaft.The extra leverage may also damage the transom, and if you are in shallow water you are more likely to run the prop aground!

Cheers,

Burl

• adriangage
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Feb 2007 15:56 #14376 by adriangage
Hi Burl
Very informative, thanks again

Cheers,