RS 200

• JamieK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2005 09:47 #18510 by JamieK
RS 200 was created by JamieK
hey, me and Lewi tried out an RS 200 yesterday, as being a possible boat to go in to after Mirrors. We both really enjoyed it, but we are unsure whether to go in to it rather than a 420, as we don't really know anyone who sails an RS 200, and what the socials are like. can anyone help, or give us any advice???

Thanks,
Jamie
70258 "CHECKMATE"

“Sailing Souvenirsâ€

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• HannahJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2005 10:41 #9459 by HannahJ
Replied by HannahJ on topic RS 200
Apparently RSs aren't really youth class, and cost a lot. They look quite fun to sail though, if u kno whow to use an asymetric spinny.

When things are looking up, don't forget to look down or you'll trip.

• s@m
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2005 09:13 #9472 by s@m
Replied by s@m on topic RS 200
Asymetricks are really simple!

• HannahJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2005 09:51 #9474 by HannahJ
Tru, but not if u drop em in the water!

More
21 Jul 2005 07:42 #9485 by Paul Hansen
Replied by Paul Hansen on topic RS 200
Hi Jamie

The RS social scene is very good apparently. In the north we have a series and there are several 18 to 22 year olds competing, quite a few Mirror sailors chose to go into them rather than a 420.

Regarding cost they are no dearer than a 420 certainly cheaper than a Zeiglemeyer, and more importantly their residual value is higher.

Paul

• Peter rhodes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2005 09:31 #9486 by Peter rhodes
Replied by Peter rhodes on topic RS 200
how true is it that 420's go floppy in a year?

daily mirror=gutter press
international mirror=gunter press

• HannahJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2005 10:30 #9487 by HannahJ
That's waht i heard, and that u have to buy a new 1 every year to stay competitive.

• JamieK
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2005 10:39 #9490 by JamieK
Replied by JamieK on topic RS 200
that is pritty much what all the top 420 sailors do!

“Sailing Souvenirsâ€

• ecover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jul 2005 18:47 #9503 by ecover
Replied by ecover on topic RS 200
hi jamie
there are alot of rs sailors at our club andrew blundle fo one who sailied a mirror and is now in a rs800 but other people are in them from mirrors tom robinson has a rs600
so i hope this can help
ED

• TJR
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jul 2005 19:16 #9505 by TJR
Replied by TJR on topic RS 200
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
hi jamie
there are alot of rs sailors at our club andrew blundle fo one who sailied a mirror and is now in a rs800 but other people are in them from mirrors tom robinson has a rs600
so i hope this can help
ED

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

I wondered how long it would be before you started blabbing! :P

• ecover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jul 2005 08:26 #9508 by ecover
hey it wasn't me
ED

• Wiggyboo66
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jul 2005 20:02 #9584 by Wiggyboo66
Replied by Wiggyboo66 on topic RS 200
I have sailed the RS200 and it's good fun ... there is a growing fleet out there but nothing like the mirror fleet or for that matter the 420 fleet ... my advice would be get into the 420 fleet as it's still the training boat for the 470 if you have Olympic aspirations ... but as everyone has already said you don't have to take the traditional route to be top class

Amanda

• ecover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Aug 2005 09:49 #9625 by ecover
is anyone doing fed week at hayling island
ED

• sue_p
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2005 18:58 #9689 by sue_p
Replied by sue_p on topic RS 200
the rs classes are really good, they may be expensive but they're apparently worth it.bit of a step up from a mirror tho? the social networks are gr8. and most of the people i no who sail rs's are youngish and use their parents or friends as crew. if i ever had enough money or experience i would defo get 1.

sjpeet

• scottish gem
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Aug 2005 15:44 #9690 by scottish gem
Replied by scottish gem on topic RS 200
Ive never been in a rs anything but id just like to say that 420's are cool! The only other dinghy ive had was a mirror, then sailed the uni's laser 2's and a 470 while at uni, i find the 420 is just the right size for buzzing about in and has enough space for flares and radio and water and all the other kelter we take about with us. Ive no idea if the floppy thing is true... most probably it seems to happen to most things slowing down in their old age (like my car!) but anyway, i suppose as long as youre not high performance racing it dosent really matter, she (the 420) is a great wee tub and certainly wouldnt swap her for a laser! Also find she is quite forgiving, and will often pop upright after near capsize where other boats might have gone in. And quite good (on calm days) for taking kids/nervy adults out and about in. And me; not the most confident trapeze artist but if i have to do it then im happiest out on the wire on the 420! Spinnaker wise, handy to have the two bags (although they get filled up with kit if we're not careful) though miss the old sock arrangement i had on my mirror! Never been in an assymetric (or been able to spell one) but ive heard that they are super cool and fabulously easy to use.

Good luck! with whatever you choose!

please visit www.aberystwythlifeboat.org.uk

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds