MCA website logo 2017 4

mirror hull

• annie
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jul 2006 16:28 #19264 by annie
mirror hull was created by annie
Just discovered a split in the hull of my new second-hand dinghy as I was stripping off the floor paint. Any advice as to how I deal with this please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bryan1930
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Oct 2006 10:40 #13101 by bryan1930
Replied by bryan1930 on topic mirror hull
Hi Annie

Depends on how serious a sailor you are. Correct answer would be to fit new bottom or get new hull.

A solution that worked for me on a wooden hull and which you might want to consider -tho' not without consulting other more experienced mariners- was this :
Strip off the paint for an inch or more both sides of and beyond the crack.
Drill a SMALL hole through the hull at the ends of the crack - this should ease any stress and help stop it spreading.
Armed with some webbing and some marine epoxy - West System for example - lay the webbing over the crack and paint/roll on the epoxy. When cured/dry, varnish it, stand with hands on hips and say "that looks pretty good for a temporary solution", launch boat, jump in, and,if foot doesn't go through bottom, go sailing.

Good luck
Bryan

Bryan

• ecover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Oct 2006 18:51 #13108 by ecover
Replied by ecover on topic mirror hull
how is this a website issue
ED

• JamesB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Nov 2006 17:47 #13233 by JamesB
Replied by JamesB on topic mirror hull
Its not but it doesnt mater that much

• john mcnulty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2006 15:20 #13318 by john mcnulty
Replied by john mcnulty on topic mirror hull
Annie
Bryan's advice is spot on. Just one small refinement. After drilling the very very small hole use a craft knife to chamfer edges of the split to make a very shallow "V" effect and then fill as suggested. Once rubbed down, faired and re-painted it shouldn't even show. Work in dry conditions.
Good luck - John

PS - if you post this again on the "Mirror Matters" forum you might get further help. I expect many won't have seen your message on the "Website issues" forum.

Time to create page: 1.507 seconds