MCA website logo 2017 4

New Mirror Website

• PeterS
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Feb 2010 21:30 #20597 by PeterS
New Mirror Website was created by PeterS
Welcome to the new Mirror Class Website - with an improved forum, a new gallery, and an easier-to-access layout.

Thank you to all who have visited today - in it's first day, the new website has had over 100 hits.

Thank you,
Peter Sedgewick
UKMCA Webmaster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peterrob
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Feb 2010 07:36 #20598 by peterrob
Replied by peterrob on topic New Mirror Website
Hi Peter,
Thank you for all the hard work
Best wishes
Peter Lulham-Robinson

• Mik
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Feb 2010 18:21 #20604 by Mik
Replied by Mik on topic New Mirror Website
A brilliant revamp Peter. Keep up the good work.
Mik. :)

• hansen
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2010 10:23 #20811 by hansen
Replied by hansen on topic New Mirror Website
from a user's point of view it's not as appealing as the old site. The screen is smaller, many of the original pictures and content have gone. The current gallery pictures display half the size of the old ones.

Using the latest web technologies does not necessarily create an improved website. If it isn't broken don't fix it.

• john mcnulty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Aug 2010 18:22 #20813 by john mcnulty
Replied by john mcnulty on topic New Mirror Website
Paul

I agree. in fact I've gven up on this site as it is a nightmare; also there's virtually no information on a wide range of matters, and going to the events page to read entries and results etc is a complete waste of time. Do you ever read anything from the Area Reps about local activities. The legends applying to the Zone pages are so out of date it's a farce. New brooms must have their way but this has swept away the good points and added nothing. I'm sure Peter Sedgwick is wholeheartedly willing but it needs a pro site builder and experienced webmaster to give the class users what they need combined with active input from the site's users. I'm not holding my breath on anything happening to make improvements. I've been waiting two months for my Southern Traveller results to be posted as I can no longer do it myself.

John

More
24 Aug 2010 22:58 #20818 by Peter Sedgewick
Replied by Peter Sedgewick on topic New Mirror Website
John, I have had a look at the areas you have highlighted :
    o The information regarding Zone Squads etc was only from 2009/2010, but has now been updated to
relevant information concerning current year selection, events, venues etc.

o Concerning southern results, it appears I did not recieve the email, but I've asked around, and finally been sent the results. As such you can now find them; Main Menu > Events > Results.

o Content uploaded to ukmirrorsailing.com is only what gets sent to me, I find it highly ineffective to email every area rep / contributer asking whether they have had any new mirror events in the last week. Anything that is sent to me, that I recieve, is generally uploaded to the site fairly quickly.

o If you are interested, a number of committee members have access to the CMS (Content Management System) which allows them to write, and publish their own articles as they wish. As you have regular content to update the site with, and you are interested in doing so, I would be happy to create you an account to do this. Please email me if so, and we can proceed from there.

o Also, it would be extremely helpful if you would be able to outline the good points that have been swept away, so that it is possible for me to review features and if beneficial, return them to the website.

Thank you for your feedback,
Peter

MCA Webmaster 2009 - 2011

• john mcnulty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Aug 2010 16:14 #20822 by john mcnulty
Replied by john mcnulty on topic New Mirror Website
Peter

I am sending my comments by email as they are too lengthy for this page. Why the site is so little used must be a concern to all - maybe it's a function of a general inertia by the officers and representatives of the various class functions. The site represents the public face of the class and needs to measure up to this to show its vitality and keep members interested. The content, provided by others, needs to be comprehensive, correct, relevant and up-to-date and eay to post. The functionality of access and connectivity of the links together with their relevance to the subject matter is your area. Both these are problematic and need attention. You need support from the full committee to get things working right to avoid the grumbles and frustrations. I hope you do and that me email helps.

John

Time to create page: 1.810 seconds