MCA website logo 2017 4

Rigging help needed!

• Bentm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 May 2010 17:18 #20651 by Bentm
Rigging help needed! was created by Bentm
I wonder if anyone can help. I am new to sailing and new to mirrors but have just bought a fab looking 1964 wooden mirror. Despite the best efforts by google I cannot find step by step guides online showing how to rig a mirror. If there is any mirror sailor out there who could help I would really appreciate it. I did my rya course several years ago, but the knowledge is in there somewhere!
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• stretchey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 May 2010 15:29 #20652 by stretchey
Replied by stretchey on topic Rigging help needed!
Hi Ben,

I am sorry, but this might not be much help. I am in the same position as you. I've acquired a 1960s build Mirror which has had all its rigging removed. I have the parts but need a rigging plan to put it all together. I am hoping to enlist the help of the association's vice commodore Martin Egan who has been recommended as an expert in restoration.
I will let you know how I get on and forward any useful information. I would also be interested to obtain any information you have got regarding the rigging and hull plans.

Best of luck

Euan

• Bentm
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 May 2010 17:04 #20653 by Bentm
Replied by Bentm on topic Rigging help needed!
Hi Euan
Good idea to keep in touch with our respective efforts to rig our Mirrors. In theory mine is ready to sail...so long as I can put the bits together correctly! Stepped the mast and attached the boom (with the boat on the trailer in the driveway) over the weekend...but stared in wonder at the gaff. Couldn't for the life of me work out how it connects to the mast!
All the best
Ben

• Jacksonac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 May 2010 08:17 #20655 by Jacksonac
Replied by Jacksonac on topic Rigging help needed!
Hi Ben,

Perhaps if you told us where you are in the country, somebody could either suggest a club to visit or be able to meet with you to provide advice. It would be a lot easier and quicker to do that than trying to describe everything.

In respect of the gaff - half way up the gaff should be a metal band with a loop in it - thread your main halyard through that and tie it off. The main halyard then goes through the pulley near the top of the mast - with the halyard going from stern to bow. With the gaff jaws against the mast you should now be able to pull the gaff up the mast.

With the gaff back at boat level thread the main sail from bottom to top up the slot in the gaff - tie the sail off at the top of the gaff through the holes ( or treat yourself to a shackle and have that permanently tied to the top of the gaff). You should now be able to start hauling the gaff up the mast - stop when the jaws are at head height so that you can attach the piece of elastic or tie a piece of rope between the two holes in the gaff jaws. Haul the sail about half way up and start doing the lacing down the front of the sail around the mast. Haul the sail to the top of the mast and secure the halyard ( I tie a loop in the free end of the halyard so that if it comes loose from the cleat the gaff doesn't come crashing down on me) finish of the lacing, attach your down haul and out haul.

You should now have the main sail up.

HTH

Andy J

Time to create page: 1.770 seconds