• tonybz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Oct 2010 18:35 #20850 by tonybz
Righting a Mirror after a capsize was created by tonybz
Hi
I'm new to the group
I managed to capsize my Mirror which I sail single-handed last week, and just could not right it.
Has anyone got any tips?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jacksonac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Oct 2010 10:04 #20852 by Jacksonac
Replied by Jacksonac on topic Righting a Mirror after a capsize
First of all - don't hang off the end of the dagger board or stand on the end of it - it will break!

I have a 'rescue line' tied to the thwart with a large knot on the end to give it some weight. Throw this over the side and swim round to the bottom of the boat. Holding the rope push with you legs on the bottom of the boat. walk up the boat as it starts to turn to maintain leverage. When the boat puts upright swim to the stern and with the help of another rescue line hanging down from the stern drainage holes which you can step into, haul yourself back into the boat.

HTH

Andy

• dsmithers
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Oct 2010 11:58 #20853 by dsmithers
Replied by dsmithers on topic Righting a Mirror after a capsize
The RYA method says to throw the upper jib sheet over and pull on that as you walk up the side. This has the advantage that it makes sure that you remember to uncleat the jib and lifts the jib out of the water which makes the righting a bit easier.

I'm not sure how this works if you tie your jib sheets together (like I do) for singlehanded use - through the bight over if it's long enough and make sure you pull on the right side.

dan

More
15 Oct 2010 21:49 #20854 by Bob Towler
Contrary to earlier replies and as the my Mirror, also sailed singlehanded turns turtle almost immediatly, I tend to grasp the centre board close to the hull put my feet along the gunall and lean back. It takes a while sometimes but eventualy the boat will start to come up hopefullyn aided by the wind if you manage to keep the head into the wind. Then make a grab for the other gunall as it comes above my head. Ask around the NE circuit and they will probably tell you I do practice it rather too frequently.

• tonybz
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2010 09:55 #20856 by tonybz
Replied by tonybz on topic Righting a Mirror after a capsize
Many Thanks bob.t, dsmithers & Jacksonac.
It's good of you all to reply. I fancy trying the rescue rope method which seems the less enegetic (I'm 64).

Is UK Mirror Sailing a club or simply a group of interested individuals?

tonybz

More
20 Oct 2010 12:03 #20858 by Martin Egan
Hi Tony,

ukmirrorsailing.com is the website of the UK Mirror Class Association which runs Mirror Championships, helps owners get the most out of their Mirror dinghy, runs a stand at the RYA Dinghy Show in March and is is affiliated to the RYA. New members always welcome, e-mail the membership secretary steveandjennywhite@talktalk.net for details.

MCA Webmaster 2011 - 2018

Time to create page: 1.686 seconds