MCA website logo 2017 4

Andersen super mini bailer query

• richardhenderson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Mar 2011 15:17 #20893 by richardhenderson
Andersen super mini bailer query was created by richardhenderson
Am doing the Spring Refit and trying to sort out my self bailer. Got a new Andersen Super Mini last season (primarily to let the rain water out when it's parked) - but it leaked a bit and am trying to sort it out. The thread on one of the retaining bolts has gone, but I can replace that with one from my old bailer. The Super Mini came with two seals, but I only used one. Should I use both together?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Jacksonac
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Mar 2011 16:09 #20895 by Jacksonac
Replied by Jacksonac on topic Andersen super mini bailer query
Hi Richard,

One I fitted my Andersen mini bailer I just chose the gasket thickness that left the bailer level with the outside of the hull. I don't know if this is correct or not, but it is what I did. Before fitting I sealed all the edges with epoxy, then fitted the bailer with a liberal coating of bath sealant to make a good seal. I occasionally get a small leak through the bailer when some dirt stops it closing properly, I get a bigger leak if I forget to close it before I launch the boat and a veritable gush when my spinnacker halyard got sucked out the bailer. My fault really as I removed the guard so that I can feed a piece of rope through the bailer when on shore to remove any water that gets through the cover.

HTH

Andy J

• phasmid4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Jun 2011 18:57 #20967 by phasmid4
Replied by phasmid4 on topic Andersen super mini bailer query
Reading about the self bailer, has given me an idea for draining the rain water from my mirror. My cover leaks, but I cannot find out where water enters.
Have any readers any other ideas to drain the water and allow air to circulate apart from self bailer? I keep my mirror some distance from home, so cannot always get there to mop out.

Time to create page: 1.467 seconds