MCA website logo 2017 4

Goodwin sails

• pjm1lilly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jul 2006 15:20 #19304 by pjm1lilly
Goodwin sails was created by pjm1lilly
Does anyone know if Malcolm Goodwin is still in buisness as I tried to ring him and could not get through, Phone No.01206826171.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2006 20:15 #12446 by Trevor Lloyd
Replied by Trevor Lloyd on topic Goodwin sails
I can confirm that Malocolm Goodwin has retired from both sailmaking and boatbuilding.

N2O

• pjm1lilly
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jul 2006 00:15 #12447 by pjm1lilly
Replied by pjm1lilly on topic Goodwin sails
Trello;thank you for that info.

• phil rust
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2006 18:14 #12548 by phil rust
Replied by phil rust on topic Goodwin sails
Advantage Sails are about to make Goodwin sails again, using the world championship winning patterns. We will probably also be working on a new rig/sail. If you are interested get in touch.

• Steve Long
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2006 15:04 #12554 by Steve Long
Replied by Steve Long on topic Goodwin sails
Q-Mark Sails have been making them since Malcolm retired with a whole list of top 5 results in World, European and National Championships. At the recent Irish Nationals 4 out of the top 7 boats used them!

Steve Long
SW Zone Squad Head Coach

• uk
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2006 15:16 #12555 by uk
Replied by uk on topic Goodwin sails
the sails that Q-Mark cut, are not the same as those perviously made by Malcolm Goodwin. you only have to look at the leech profile in particuluar to notice this. So there is an opening in the market for exact replicas

• Steve Long
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2006 16:59 #12556 by Steve Long
Replied by Steve Long on topic Goodwin sails
If you noticed the leech profile of all the boats using Q-Marks at the Worlds in Sweden, the Nationals at Poole and the Irish Nationals at Cork you will have seen that they are identical to the Goodwin profile!

Steve Long
SW Zone Squad Head Coach

• phil rust
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Aug 2006 20:52 #12558 by phil rust
No need for a fight!

My son Chris has been sailing with a set of Steve's (Q Mark) sails and they are excellently made, have been very successful and appear to be a copy of Malcolm Goodwin's sails in many respects, though I know for instance that he cuts the spinnaker differently using a wider cloth. However, they were not made from Malcolm's patterns.

The Sails we are putting together with Advantage are using Malcolm's paterns as used by Clive when he won the Worlds in 1997 and for the sails he ahs made afterwards. Malcolm will also advising on the build quality and if we can find a suitable mast helping with the necessary adjustments for that.

• Bev Harvey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Aug 2006 14:08 #12560 by Bev Harvey
Replied by Bev Harvey on topic Goodwin sails
Can somebody please tell me who Advantage Sails are and who are the people running them?

We are the owner of Phoutle 69943 and would be interested in a Goodwin replica sail. We currently have Q marks and they are working well.

Bev Harvey
Mirror Class Historian

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Aug 2006 21:47 #12570 by LevanteIRL67592
Replied by LevanteIRL67592 on topic Goodwin sails
Can I just point out that Steve actually makes the sails, he should probably know whether they are exact copies of Goodwins or not!!

• phil rust
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Aug 2006 08:52 #12575 by phil rust
Advantage is run by Mark Self, who is a top Tornado crew. Mark has worked for several big sailmakers in the past and set up his own business a couple of years ago. He now has a small sailloft in Brightlingsea.

We hope to get the 1st set ready in a few weeks- possibly by Chew Valley, but more likely Beer. I understand that Malcolm Goodwin is working with Mark this week to copy all the templates and go through how he has produced the appropriate battens etc.

I will keep in touch- feel free to give me a call if you want more info

Philip Rust

01206 303442

• Bev Harvey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Oct 2006 11:06 #13035 by Bev Harvey
Replied by Bev Harvey on topic Goodwin sails
Many thanks

Bev

• phil rust
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Oct 2006 20:27 #13142 by phil rust
Malcolm Goodwin and Mark Self are now happy with the luff curve to match the new masts and Mark got the ultimate honour of Malcolm saying: "That is as good as I could ever do", and that is quite an accolade as anyone who knows Macolm will confirm!

There may be a chance of getting sails for SA if you contact Mark at Advantage sails ASAP. His number is 07909 542138

If you want a review of how they are going, contact Chris Swinchett at Chipstead

Time to create page: 2.412 seconds