MCA website logo 2017 4

Easter Training at Pwllheli

• Simon Lovesey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2008 12:31 #20374 by Simon Lovesey
Easter Training at Pwllheli was created by Simon Lovesey
There has some recent discussions about Easter Training at Pwllheli, pre Nationwide Championships at PSC. This needs to be drawn to a conclusion in the next few days, so bookings can be confirmed

Please comment here and confirm interest

Sarah Fitzgerald is co-ordinating things and here is her summary

The discussion so far:

Financial meltdown and credit crunch mean we are all looking to reduce costs.

Travelling to Pwllheli lots of times is expensive and an inefficient use of time.

So the proposal is to have longer training sessions attached to events:

July 18 - 22 training preworlds

And

Option one : April 7 - 9 pre NW open meeting (on 10-12)

or

Option two : April 4 - 5 weekend pre NW open meeting

Peter Aitken is available to coach all these days.

They are open to all and we will just hire in extra coaches as needed.

What do you want?

Decision deadline is Monday night.

MCA Secretary

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2008 15:42 #16267 by Trevor Lloyd
I suppose it depends on the way you look at costs and extra tank of diesel against 4 days extra accommodation and as Peter said saving 14hrs on the road. On a purely personal front it increases my costs by a very very significant margin, but I will go with majority.

A long period of training would be hugely beneficial, but closer to the event maybe? Two trips to wales over 2 weekends isn't inspiring in April but that's what we do if we need to. Could we not make the NJS weekend in Pwllheli in May a long weekend Fri-Sun or Mon say?

Just an idea

• Peter Robinson
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2008 17:08 #16268 by Peter Robinson
Replied by Peter Robinson on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
Hi, I think the first option would give the helms and crew a really good start to the season
Regards Peter

• john mcnulty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2008 18:24 #16269 by john mcnulty
Replied by john mcnulty on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
The proposed July training seems to be before the state schools' holidays so a problem for some perhaps. Might this be brought into the May (half-term : 23-31 May) and, also, put the NJS session (16/17 May) back a week so as to combine the camps and get a longer event with more time on the water, even if it is 2 months in advance. It would make the May half-term become THE main training session.

The Nationals start on the first day of the school summer hols so how will people travel beforehand unless they bunk off early? I know some schools will break up before then but still a problem for some.

Easter hols are from 4-19 Apl so why not have training from 5-8 Apl thereby giving a day at home from school before setting out and a rest day after training camp (the kids will be tired) before the Welsh Championships 10-12 Apl.

The thing to avoid is the frequent to-ing and fro-ing to a remote (but excellent) venue yet still maximise the time spent there rather than on the road. Staying longer costs more in money terms but is better value in other respects.

So the proposal is to spend from 5-12 April for the training camp and the Welsh championships and another week again during the May half term. A third camp from 18-20 Jul for those who can attend before the Nationals/Worlds can be added. This would be a fortnight stay.

How much can the RYA subsidise the training from the Sport England grant so the cost to the sailors/parents is just the travelling and accommodation? This would have a big effect on attendances.

As a non-participant (but interested as class training co-ordinator) I say it is up to the participants to decide a majority view quickly so that Sarah (God bless her for taking on the role) and Peter can get on with organising the training camps programme, so everyone knows where they stand and can plan accordingly.

• Sinker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Oct 2008 19:58 #16270 by Sinker
Replied by Sinker on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
As we appear to be committed to a week in Wales at Easter :-(

Can we at least make it work a little easier by moving the Nationwide Event on the last weekend to the Fri & Sat rather than the Sat & Sun.

This will (i) Allow a normal holiday week Saturday night to Saturday nights accom to be booked.
(ii) Gives the first Sat as a travelling day , with the Sunday to either do something at home prior to school return or to be used as a travelling day.

Personally I would prefer <b>option 2.</b> As days off work and the cost of 3 days extra accom' far outway any fuel costs/time. (But I do accept its <i>only </i>a 4 hour drive for me)

Jon Moore

Edited by - sinker on 17 October 2008 21:07:21

• scamp
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Oct 2008 08:55 #16271 by scamp
Replied by scamp on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
July dates fit in with most state school holidays in Cheshire. It makes accommodation bookings more efficient as most are Saturday to Saturday.
Travelling to Pwllheli is easier for us compared to the number of trips we have to make down South so obviously we are happy with the trips to Pwllheli. Either option is fine for us.

• Roseanna
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Oct 2008 20:18 #16272 by Roseanna
Replied by Roseanna on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
Opion One is our prefered choice. This then leaves more time for other family activities, including the parents having a holiday.

Having training during the May half term is not good for those with exams.

If poss could we please have a decision quickly.
Thanks to all those doing the organization

From Rupert

• Richard Elsdon
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Oct 2008 21:09 #16273 by Richard Elsdon
Replied by Richard Elsdon on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
prefer training and racing to be back to back, i.e. training 7-9, to reduce travelling. (travelling anywhere especially into north wales on Fri 3rd will be difficult) Can we manage with 2 days racing 10/11 (good fri and sat)? will leave first weekend and following week free to have some holiday!

• chillibean
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Oct 2008 13:05 #16279 by chillibean
Replied by chillibean on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
Thank you very much everyone for your comments.
Sadly can't please everyone but feedback suggests April 7-9 most popular so have booked that.
Am looking into mass accomodation in case can offer houseparent cover for 2 nights so could drop and run........
Am also therefore looking for houseparents.....

July 18-22 also booked.
Sarah

• rhaigh
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Oct 2008 22:18 #16281 by rhaigh
Replied by rhaigh on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
Sarah, Do we contact you if we want to join the training in April at Phwelli?

crhaigh

• Simon Lovesey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Oct 2008 08:31 #16282 by Simon Lovesey
Replied by Simon Lovesey on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
Sarah is finalising costs, and we will be setting an online entry for this training shortly

The training will open to all and will help if everyone who wants to attend books quickly so we can ensure we have sufficient coaches and ribs.

For anyone coming to the Worlds this training will make a big difference

MCA Secretary

• Sarah_Fitzgerald
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Nov 2008 10:07 #16310 by Sarah_Fitzgerald
Replied by Sarah_Fitzgerald on topic Easter Training at Pwllheli
Please can you email me if you wish to attend either the april camp or the july pre worlds training.
I need to know numbers to work out the costs and book coaches.
Thanks
Sarah

Time to create page: 2.048 seconds