MCA website logo 2017 4

WHO WANTS OPEN COACHING?

• john mcnulty
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 May 2005 18:14 #18358 by john mcnulty
WHO WANTS OPEN COACHING? was created by john mcnulty
BELOW IS A REPLY TO A MESSAGE POSTED ON THE SOUTH ZONE FORUM FROM SAILORS IN THE NORTH COMPLAINING ABOUT THERE BEING NO OPEN COACHING IN THEIR ZONES. THE REPLY SHOULD BE OF INTEREST AND VALUE TO ALL SAILORS WHO WANT TO IMPROVE THEIR SAILING THROUGH TRAINING. IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU.

Very true Julian and Roger. The reason there are none in the north is because, despite endless requests from me for events to be organised through your Area Reps, absolutely nothing has happened. They say they can't get any interest from the clubs. I have put messages on the Open Coaching webpage and the messageboards to get some interest going but nothing doing.

You, yourselves organised a training day just before the Northerns which would have been an ideal start to the OC programme, but you didn't communicate with me about it in advance.

The ideal arrangement for open coaching is one of two things, either:
A - to plan them in conjunction with your traveller series so it becomes a weekend event and you get a series of 6 coaching days or,
B- arrange for 3 weekend events at clubs which will attract strong attendances. We need 6-8 boats minimum per session and the whole area needs to be involved, not just the host club.

If you study the OC webpages and information on the various links you will see that these events only happen where the local sailors make it happen. I cannot organise it for you; only co-ordinate it.

Each MCA area should try and develop a training programme using the opportunities provided by the RYA and MCA through the several programmes available depending on the type of club and the demand. Small clubs could cluster to provide the training. There are enough clubs with strong Mirror backgrounds among the members who should be working to build the network that will encourage the sailors. It is the parents of the juniors who need to be aware.

It is not too late to try and arrange a few events between the NW and NE. Just chase the Area Reps and put your ideas to them. HOPE THIS HELPS and keep the debate going.

Good luck - John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• john mcnulty
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2005 13:42 #8841 by john mcnulty
Replied by john mcnulty on topic WHO WANTS OPEN COACHING?
THIS IS THE CONTINUATION OF THE DISCUSSION TRANSFERRED FROM THE SOUTH ZONE PAGE for Maidenhead & Spinnaker.

I think the first thing to point out is the structural difference between the formal MCA/RYA Open Coaching programme and general training organised by clubs. The organisation of and eligibility for OC is shown on the Mirror website and forms a syllabused course of instruction at venues that can offer the facilities. It is open to any sailors who can meet the criteria for entry and want to do it. OC is not intended as a one-off instruction day for the host club. A series of these, doing repeat basic training, does not achieve the objective of bringing on a core of new talent in a zone or area.

There is, of course, every possibility for clubs to organise their own training as Mandy at Bartley and Roger at Windermere have done using coaches of their choice. Also there is the Volvo Champion Club programme which is co-ordinated for such clubs by the zone HPM.

I repeat that the creation of a zone OC programme requires a lot of local communication between sailors, clubs and the Class Area Reps and Traveller co-ordinators. Reps can't book events if clubs don't take an interest. Where clubs do want a proper OC event it should be organised through the area rep and Mandy can have one by doing that.

One reason we have ample events in the South is because all the clubs are contacted in October with a draft programme for the coming season and are asked to offer dates that match either the Traveller series or a weekend. Apart from providing the facilities (for which they can be re-imbursed) the clubs have very little to do and the Area Rep and myself endeavour to ensure a full turnout. We also organise occasional meetings with club reps to encourage more activity.

If the Midlands, N.West and N.East reps get feedback from clubs asking to take part in OC (rather than wanting a club training day) then the door is open for them. The impression I get from Area Reps is that the demand has not been there and their efforts have been unproductive. Is this because OC is misunderstood? There is enough information about it on the website and the RYA Junior/Youth Training handbook.

Other junior classes organise their OC much more like a squad system with weekend training camps over the Oct-Mar period and sailors attend as they want but pay rather more than we do. I doubt this would appeal to most Mirror sailors which is why we try to make it fit in with the sailors seasonal activity and why the motivation must come from the grassroots to take up the opportunity on offer.

There is no criticism implied in the explanation of why it's happening in the South and not the North just a weary frustration that clubs that put on good Mirror events and have active Mirror sailors do not seem to mutually solve the problem by going for it.

I hope this adds amiably to the debate.

Regards - John

• john mcnulty
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 May 2005 17:22 #8876 by john mcnulty
Considering Alison's comments regarding the lack of interest shown by clubs, has anyone got an explanation for this. There seems to be no problem for the many clubs who are hosting these events and they involve the club a rather less than for an open meeting so I don't see why they are reluctant. Given enough notice to plan for the forthcoming season it should be as easy as it is for the clubs who are doing it. A mystery and an explanation would be helpful. Maybe Tony and Paul can enlighten us.

• RobSmith
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 May 2005 19:14 #8884 by RobSmith
Replied by RobSmith on topic WHO WANTS OPEN COACHING?
Bassenthwaite S.C. is interested in hosting open coaching. Please contact Hugh Godfrey on 01946 592879 or godfrey@clara.co.uk

• john mcnulty
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 May 2005 12:35 #8889 by john mcnulty
Rob - good to see you're following in illustrious footsteps. I know we've used Phil and Tim to help with coaching in the past. I've passed your request to our Area Rep, Tony Houlihan to initiate the process so the club should be hearing soon.
Regards - John

Time to create page: 1.539 seconds