MCA website logo 2017 4

Tacktick Compasses

More
20 Nov 2006 16:53 #19555 by Trevor Lloyd
I know these are relatively expensive, but, they work in the northern and southern hemispheres unlike conventional compasses and they have a race timer and a couple of other features. Most classes allow them, what do you think? I know they are not allowed by current class rules, maybe time for change?

www.holtdistribution.com/tacktic ... ne=compass

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sinker
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Nov 2006 18:33 #13339 by Sinker
Replied by Sinker on topic Tacktick Compasses
Trev,
Agree with you.
When this was debated 3 or 4 years ago it failed to get passed as a rule change, but may be its time to try again for the 2007 AGM vote.

My stand point is that provided the only info is the heading <b>& is not one of the fancy ones that gives you header & lift data </b> they should be allowed.

Why should it matter if the information is a digital display or read off a dial. You still need the skill to know what to do with the information.

Sinker

More
21 Nov 2006 08:29 #13348 by Trevor Lloyd
Replied by Trevor Lloyd on topic Tacktick Compasses
Hi Sinker

It is a disadvantage to anyone who understands shifts to have everyone blindly tacking on instructions from their compasses. On tidal waters using windshifts and bends is a little more complicated than just tacking on them. You would still need to know what you are doing.

Great to know there is some support for moving this forward.

• Christopher Matthews
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Nov 2006 19:01 #13358 by Christopher Matthews
Replied by Christopher Matthews on topic Tacktick Compasses
Im not a maths genis and some times find using a conventional compass easier to use because i can look and figer out + or - 10 alot quicker when i can see both number like on a number line
iF its more expense and theres no difference why bother.
i think we will have one shiped to pine lodge but im not sure yet

Chris

Edited by - Christopher Matthews on 21 November 2006 19:02:37

More
21 Nov 2006 22:05 #13366 by Paul Hansen
Replied by Paul Hansen on topic Tacktick Compasses
To me it is going to be like opening a can of worms once you allow electronic compasses, and not all classes allow them. When Kayleigh and Eloise had a 420 the compasses had to be traditional, although I believe 29ers use electronic. For those moving on to other classes I am sure mastering the traditional compass will be a useful skill.

Paul

More
21 Nov 2006 22:16 #13367 by Trevor Lloyd
Replied by Trevor Lloyd on topic Tacktick Compasses
Ah but it seems those of us with conventional northern hemisphere compasses need to buy another one (for the southern hemishere) so it's double bubble and almost as much as a tacktick.....

Time to create page: 1.704 seconds