MCA website logo 2017 4

An idea...

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Jan 2007 14:45 #19629 by LevanteIRL67592
An idea... was created by LevanteIRL67592
This will never happen, but I'm going to toss it out anyway!!

We hold the 2010 Europeans in Brittany, under the organisation of the UKMCA.

Bring 10-15 plastic mirrors for charter to local sailors, with the option of buying them for a discount price after the event.

After the Euros, the French mirrors could race under the jursidiction of the UKMCA for say 2 years, and the UKMCA could organise a "French Nationals" as part of the British traveller series.

During the 2 year period, a French association could be formed and find its feet in time to organise its own traveller series and events after the 2 years is up, and take responsibility for developing the class in France, perhaps getting a builder and sail maker operating there.

What do people reckon to this? I don't see any major reasons why it wouldn't work for France, Holland, Italy, Spain, Germany, or wherever we wanted really! All are cheap enough to get to from established mirror locations in Europe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• john mcnulty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jan 2007 15:58 #14167 by john mcnulty
Replied by john mcnulty on topic An idea...
A couple of years ago I believe the membership secretary had a request passed on via Jan Grieg-Gran from some French Mirror owners about affiliating to the UKMCA. I don't know how far this got. Also, last year there was a suggestion that any French Mirrors should be invited to the Europeans at Poole. Again, I don't know how far this got or who the contacts were.

There has been a view among some Mirror owners that we should have a Euro regatta in France and this was the spark for having the Summer Holiday week that has been organised at La Rive from 5 to 12 August.

I'm sure the idea of building a French fleet would be popular and going there for a Europeans even moreso. The problem is it needs someone to organise and liaise so a volunteer needs to be found. Any offers?

The last continental Europeans was in Holland at Medemblik 2002( a superb venue - pity about the lack of wind) and the Dutch have a class organisation. The French would need to have at least a minimal structure and a willing host club.

The idea is great and worth exploring if someone can take it on. It's more than the very small active UK committee can handle at present. Maybe this thread can be woven into a mantle that can be worn by an enthusiastic volunteer.

John

PS - A French contact of mine sent the following website as a possible venue for a Mirror event www.tourisme.fr/office-de-tourisme/la-t ... ur-mer.htm When the idea has the necessary support maybe he could be the initial contact.

• bobt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jan 2007 01:20 #14182 by bobt
Replied by bobt on topic An idea...
Sounds like a great idea, but then I thought that about this years French trip until I realised the cost for a family of four. Two of whom will not use any water bourne activities. So it will be back to Pentewan in Cornwall and pray for good sailing weather.

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Jan 2007 17:00 #14183 by LevanteIRL67592
Replied by LevanteIRL67592 on topic An idea...
It'd be cheaper than Sweden again!! :D And probably as cheap (And a lot warmer!) for Brits as having it in Ireland, or vice versa.

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Jan 2007 18:37 #14249 by LevanteIRL67592
Just bringing this back up into the active list now Simon Lovesey is back!! :D

• Simon Lovesey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Jan 2007 07:53 #14251 by Simon Lovesey
Replied by Simon Lovesey on topic An idea...
The concept of using International events to stimulate local and new fleet activity was discussed at the International AGM and received enthusiastic support.

We have already had interest in getting an Mirror Association going in France, there are already some there. There are also other countries looking to establish Mirror fleets.

Yes the UKMCA could organise things, but after winning the bid for the 2009 Worlds our energies in the near future will be directed there, so what about the Irish taking a lead on this one ?

MCA Secretary

More
28 Jan 2007 19:30 #14258 by Trevor Lloyd
Replied by Trevor Lloyd on topic An idea...
Oh for lake Garda, winds so regular the have a permanent olympic course set out. Time for a relaxed start to the day with no wind till 1pm on the dot every day. Great holiday for the family. Bliss..................

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
29 Jan 2007 17:39 #14269 by LevanteIRL67592
I'll bring it up at the next committee meeting, but the distance and lack of an Irish traveller series might be an obstacle. My only reservation about Garda would be that the sailing market is so saturated there that there would be little interest in another class, whereas in Brittany a European Championship might attract some more interest.

• D Hughes
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2007 09:28 #14280 by D Hughes
Replied by D Hughes on topic An idea...
The GP14 Euro's were at Carnac in Brittany a few years back. Good club and well run event.

X

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Jan 2007 20:25 #14285 by LevanteIRL67592
Thanks for that constructive comment.

• ecover
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
31 Jan 2007 16:49 #14289 by ecover
Replied by ecover on topic An idea...
thats ok

• john mcnulty
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Feb 2007 15:49 #14293 by john mcnulty
Replied by john mcnulty on topic An idea...
Speak for yourself Edward - the "no-one" is well out of order. also doesn't help to air your prejudices on the class assoc messageboard and it won't help in the wider discussion of the subject matter which is one that your association is looking at.

Time to create page: 2.080 seconds