MCA website logo 2017 4

Mark 3 Price

• LevanteIRL67592
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Jul 2007 12:56 #19982 by LevanteIRL67592
Mark 3 Price was created by LevanteIRL67592
I'm getting a lot of enquiries from kids about the Mark 3 Winder boat, but I don't know enough about it to give them a good answer.

1) How much is each boat expected to cost? (Ready to race with a Bermudan rig)

2) How does one contact Winder to order one?

3) When will Winder be building boats for sale? i.e- Not prototypes!!

It is really encouraging to see the amount of interest the boat is generating over here!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2007 22:00 #15290 by Trevor Lloyd
Replied by Trevor Lloyd on topic Mark 3 Price
Levante

The new boat looks very great very modern inside, clean and stiff, I am one of the few to have seen it so far, last Thursday! No Photo's sorry forgot my camera, however there wil be some pictures very soon.

In answer to your questions.

1/ To the best of my knowledge no price has been set yet, I did ask.
2/
Winder Boats
Aquarius House, Kensington St, Keighley, West Yorkshire BD21 1PW
Tel: 01535 604980

3/ I believe the first boats are expected at the UK Nationals, but I'd keep an eye on the web site as I am sure we'll be raising the flag.

I understand he has quite a few on order!

Trevor

• Simon Lovesey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2007 13:16 #15306 by Simon Lovesey
Replied by Simon Lovesey on topic Mark 3 Price
Photos of MK3 prototype shell being measured can be seen here :

www.sailracer.co.uk/galleryviewe ... easurement

New arrival weighed in at 38kg without fittings, now waiting final ISAF sign off

More news soon, hopefully first batch at the Nationals.

Looks like Phil Morrison and Winders have done superb job on modernising the Mirror

MCA Secretary

More
17 Jul 2007 13:42 #15307 by Burl Solomons
Replied by Burl Solomons on topic Mark 3 Price
That looks a really nice little boat - I want one!!

B

• Eric Taylor
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2007 15:09 #15308 by Eric Taylor
Replied by Eric Taylor on topic Mark 3 Price
looks very modern nice clean lines and a lot lighter than my old girl if she sail as well as she looks i will be placing an order at the end of the season

• toddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2007 16:41 #15309 by toddy
Replied by toddy on topic Mark 3 Price
If it weighed 38kg without fittings, add 3kg of lead max gives 41kg leaving 4.5kg for fittings . It isn't gonna measure too light !!
Or are we measuring with brass blocks and cleats to be replaced for racing ?

• toddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Jul 2007 16:42 #15310 by toddy
Replied by toddy on topic Mark 3 Price
If it weighed 38kg without fittings, add 3kg of lead max gives 41kg leaving 4.5kg for fittings . It isn't gonna measure too light !!
Or are we measuring with brass blocks and cleats to be replaced for racing ?

More
18 Jul 2007 08:37 #15318 by Trevor Lloyd
Don't worry, the weight will be increased to ensure that a suitable amount of correctors will bring it up to a sensible point. This will result in a boat that is balanced correctly and tough if previous products are anything to go by. This is a preproduction boat.

• Rob Bode
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2007 09:21 #15320 by Rob Bode
Replied by Rob Bode on topic Mark 3 Price
Trello,
Obviously the boat needs to be made of materials that are thich enough to provide the necessary strength for use but, please can you explain, for us novice sailors, why it is that the boat would need to be made any heavier for any reason other than strength? As someone who is above the ideal combined crew & helm weight when single handed I would have thought that as light as possible would be preferable.
Intrigued to know,
Rob

More
18 Jul 2007 18:42 #15328 by Trevor Lloyd
The minimum weight of a fitted out mirror hull is 45.5kg of which we are allowed to fit 3kg of lead correctors. The weight was set at 100lb when the boat was designed in the 60's.

The New mirror has 10mm foam in the floor giving approximately 12mm floor thickness bow to stern. It is manufactured from epoxy & glass vacuum bagged and baked in an oven so the optimum amount of resin is left to make a strong light and stiff structure. Using this method it is quite possible to build many traditional classes lighter, stiffer and stronger than they were ever designed. Unfortunately they would outclass the existing fleet as they would respond better to gusts, waves and are generally more easily driven etc. So to even things out we build heavier and increase the structural strength where necessary.

It is quite possible to build a wooden mirror with 3kg of lead as well but under the current rules they will be more delicate than it's new younger sibling.

Hope that helps, ask away

Time to create page: 2.192 seconds