MCA website logo 2017 4

Lead Corrector Weights

More
18 Jul 2007 07:39 #19998 by Trevor Lloyd
I would like to bring to the attention of the class members that the latest 2007 rules have incorporated a significant change in the position of the correctors. Please don't shoot the messenger, 3kg on the back tank isn't going to look pretty and this has been made retrospective. The wording is as follows:

1.8.3 Corrector weights may be fitted and shall be of lead fixed to the forward face of the aft bulkhead. Boats certified prior to 1st July 2007 have until 1st July 2008 to change the location of corrector weights from the underside of the thwart to the forward face of the aft bulkhead.

Corrector weights shall be permanently marked with their weight in Arabic numerals of not less than 15mm in height. The total weight of the correctors weights for boats first certificated after the 1st September 1997 shall not be more than 3kg. The number of and weight of each corrector weight, if fitted, shall be recorded on the measurement certificate.

1.8.4 Corrector weights shall not be moved or altered unless the boat is re-weighed in a dry condition by an official measurer who shall record the revised weight on the Measurement Certificate and sign it. The certificate shall be sent to the National Authority or National
Mirror Class Association, which shall endorse the certificate and return it to the owner.

Anyone affected by this needs to have the boat reweighed when they are moved according to the wording. Either you can contact a local measurer or it can be done whilst at a meeting prior to rigging with prior arrangement, there maybe a queue! Ensure it's dry and the boat is stripped out of all removable rope etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2007 10:37 #15323 by Trevor Lloyd
Replied by Trevor Lloyd on topic Lead Corrector Weights
Watch for postings on other rules changes shortly.

• HannahJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2007 16:02 #15326 by HannahJ
Replied by HannahJ on topic Lead Corrector Weights
May i ask the reason for the change in positioning?

64799 "Dolphin"

More
18 Jul 2007 18:29 #15327 by Trevor Lloyd
There is a belief that people are deliberately building light boats with the additional weight placed in the optimum position. The view is that this reduces the longevity of the hulls life. This is to discourage those people as 3kg of lead on the aft tank is not only ugly but in the wrong place.

Unfortunately, those people building wooden boats by the rules have to use the parts supplied with the kit. There is no choice but to build the boat as it comes and you don't really know how heavy it is until it's finished. We are not allowed to build in extra strength in the front tank, hence the big hatch in the front which was a retrospective change so measurer's could see inside.

Mine has 2.7kg of lead, is well sealed with epoxy inside and out. Nothing missing and fully legal. Covering the boat in paint and varnish makes it heavier but not stiffer or stronger.

As a class measurer I will have to ensure that not only my boat complies but other also even if I don't agree.

• toddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2007 19:31 #15329 by toddy
Replied by toddy on topic Lead Corrector Weights
Well, I,d better get as many races as possible in before 2008 because I am definately not putting my correctors on the aft bulkhead.
Why on earth would anyone compromise the integrity of the rear buoyancy tank by attaching to the aft bulkhead ?
I will apply more paint this winter and see what that does, then it will be club racing only.
As you say Trevor you build with what you are supplied with !!!
Another nail in the wooden boat coffin
This just opens up a whole new problem of people hiding lead within epoxy taped seams to bring the boat up to weight, easily done around the centreboard case i would imagine
Whos idea is this exactly ?
Why not address the REAL problem of the ply the boat is made of, specify a new ply e.g 5 ply 5mm easily and readily available let us build from plans you could then have teak faced ply floors and could build a boat to the 45.5kg without lead.
If you want a guinnea pig to build from a plan Im your man !

Edited by - toddy on 18 July 2007 20:45:19

More
18 Jul 2007 20:23 #15330 by Trevor Lloyd
Guess you might be seconding one of my proposals that will be out by the middle of next week!

• toddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Jul 2007 20:37 #15331 by toddy
Replied by toddy on topic Lead Corrector Weights
You bet !!
Lets get a bit of pride back into boatbuilding even if they are only small

• Simon Lovesey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2007 05:30 #15333 by Simon Lovesey
Replied by Simon Lovesey on topic Lead Corrector Weights
The MCA is keen to support and encourage wood boat building, would be great to get back to the heydays when over 6,000 Mirrors were being built every year from kits.

As with the recent work on the GRP production boat there are a few issues that need to be resolved. Trello will be presenting proposals at the AGM, so essential all those who are passionate about wood boats gets to the Nationals to help move the debate forward.

MCA Secretary

More
19 Jul 2007 19:44 #15335 by Paul Hansen
Replied by Paul Hansen on topic Lead Corrector Weights
Happy with the idea of plans Trello, I have been an advocate of these for a long time, other classes do this and have reduced costs.

My problem is why do we have to move the correctors next year?

Paul

More
19 Jul 2007 19:51 #15336 by Trevor Lloyd
Because it proposed, seconded and ratified internationally back in either 2004/5 I believe.

More
20 Jul 2007 14:14 #15344 by Paul Hansen
Replied by Paul Hansen on topic Lead Corrector Weights
Is this all classes or just Mirrors? Sorry to seem a little thick.

Paul

More
20 Jul 2007 16:09 #15348 by Trevor Lloyd
Hi Paul

This was voted on at the Mirror AGM.

I don't think other classes view it quite the same, one of my other class splits it between the inner faces of the cockpit bulkheads, the other leaves it sensibly under the thwart.

Trevor

Time to create page: 2.252 seconds