MCA website logo 2017 4

e-bay

• philippe
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2006 17:04 #19198 by philippe
e-bay was created by philippe
Is it safe to buy a Mirror on e-bay, I admit I'm reluctant to buy a boat without seing it, what's your opinion?Especially as that would mean coming over from France to fetch it, and if it turned out to be a bad buy I would have made the journey for nothing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• toddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2006 20:03 #12225 by toddy
Replied by toddy on topic e-bay
I bought mine from E-Bay for £360 it was worth the risk as it came with nearly new Trident trailer and cover 3 complete sets of sails inc spinnakers, spare gaff,mast and boom and a bag of fittings. Watch them for a while to get a feel for what is being paid.
There seem to be plenty down south so should suit a trip from France.

• shampton
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Jun 2006 22:03 #12226 by shampton
Replied by shampton on topic e-bay
Ebay is a good source for Mirrors - there are usually 5-10 boats on there. The risk is buying something you haven't seen although this can be mitigated by looking at lots of photos, checking out the buyer's feedback score etc. or even taking a look before bidding ends if possible.

Beware of buying something just because it looks a bargain and looks nice in the photos. We all know the problems a new coat of paint and a can of polish can hide!

If the item turns out to misrepresented then you can walk away without having to pay. I was the highest bidder on a Mirror on Ebay a year ago - it was described as "absolutely brand new" - it had a sail number in the 65000s! So when I went to pick it up and it wasn't in brand new condition or anywhere like it I walked away and the seller wasn't surprised!

If you are still unsure then check out boats for sale on this site or www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk , which is a good source of Mirrors.

As always caveat emptor.

• craig bond
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jun 2006 06:55 #12227 by craig bond
Replied by craig bond on topic e-bay
There is a Mirror at the moment going for £440.00 that is old but looks in good condition, it may not be any good for racing but I guess you want it just to sail. It is based in Colchester in Essex about a two hour drive from Dover. It also comes with a road trailer and could be towed home. I personaly would not buy one cheaper then this without looking first.
Craig
PS I am not selling it!!

Time to create page: 1.845 seconds