MCA website logo 2017 4

Harbour Challenge Mirror Project

• Ania B
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2008 19:26 #20312 by Ania B
Harbour Challenge Mirror Project was created by Ania B
Hi everyone, I haven't been in the mirrors for a while now but recently at a sailing school on Brownsea Island where I volunteer, we found an old mirror and it's been assigned to me as my summer project to return it to it's former glory, given my history of mirror sailing.

The sailing school is a registered charity called Harbour Challenge which gives opportunities to a wide variety of clientele including under-privileged children and youths with behavioural difficulties.

Basically this is an appeal to all those of you who have spare bits and bobs lying around that you can spare for a good cause, to kit out this mirror for the benefit of those who can't afford their own boats.

I've thouroughly gone over the mirror and it's structurally sound just with bits missing, so if you have any of the following and are willing to either give us a discount, or donate it to the charity then we would be eternally grateful!! It doesn't have to be up to racing standard, just safe and simple for the kids.

- General sheets and halyards, especially spinnaker related

- Reaching hooks, and similar cleats for halyards on the mast

- Pole ring (as in the one 1/3 of the way up the mast)

- End-to-end pole (or suggestions on where we can find a cheap one)

- Spinnaker shoot and sock

- Jawed cleats for under the bench

- Swivelling pulleys

- Ratchet block.. not an essential

- Small pulleys for kite sheets

- Shroud plates to replace old school system

- Anything else lying around unused that could be useful for us!

I know this is a bit cheeky, but I remember from my mirror days always having loads of random stuff like this shoved in the garage and in various toolboxes that I was unlikely to ever use - just remember, it's for a good cause!

We have very limited funds, as a charity, so thought we would appeal here first before shopping for stuff, anything you can donate would be very highly appreciated, regardless of condition, it all helps!

Please call me or email me if you can help at all or have any advice.

Thanks, Ania Booth

sailorsailorson@msn.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• huxley
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2008 21:02 #16156 by huxley
Replied by huxley on topic Harbour Challenge Mirror Project
Ania,

I inherited my fathers left over chandlery bits and bobs. Essentially lots of trays of unused fittings from the mid 80's.

There is only so much I can eek out on ebay :-)

Pulley wise I could offer up some plain bearing blocks from the Seasure 25mm and/or RWO 18mm micro range. I think most of the camcleats etc are all acetal plastic but may be suitable for your requirements.

Looking at your list the only items I DON'T have are the reaching cleats, ratchet block, spin pole, spin shoot & sock.

If you could get somebody with a Harbour Challenge email address to drop me a line I can go through the trays in detail.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 1.695 seconds