MCA website logo 2017 4

Sailing in light winds

• gorsuch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 May 2006 13:05 #19174 by gorsuch
Sailing in light winds was created by gorsuch
Hello, when I'm sailing the mirror alone in a light winds I'm finding it difficult to sit comfortably, in order to keep the boat level I either end-up sitting on the thwart facing the wrong way getting a stiff neck or kneeling on the floor, does any experienced single-hander have a useful tip for me?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HannahJ
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 May 2006 19:05 #12179 by HannahJ
Replied by HannahJ on topic Sailing in light winds
One leg in front of the thwart, one the other side, and sit facing the sail.

64799 "Dolphin"

• lilly
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 May 2006 05:32 #12182 by lilly
Replied by lilly on topic Sailing in light winds
If it is very light go for bum on the thwart, almost prone with your head up by the mast and a leeward heel to keep the shape in the sails and reduce the wetted area under the boat.

There is one Mr Lovesey who likes to lie across the boat with head out one side and feet out the other but i find it dificult to respond to gusts quickly like this.

I have seen some quite extreme results with the helm so far forward that the back of the boat is high out of the water and only the rudder blade tip in the water, not sure about this one at all.

To help on the stiff neck start to use the jib tell tails when beating rather than the burgee. Keep your inside tell tail horizontal (if it is not you are pinching and therefore slow). If the outside one lifts head up more, if it drops bear away.

The kneeling on the floor comes on the very broad reaches and would be the best position for watching the sails in light winds. Keep your centre of gravity as far forward as comfort permits.

good Luck.

• gorsuch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 May 2006 15:11 #12183 by gorsuch
Replied by gorsuch on topic Sailing in light winds
Thanks Hannah and Lilly
I'll experiment a little next time
Neil

• flyingpig
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2006 23:03 #12399 by flyingpig
Replied by flyingpig on topic Sailing in light winds
Must try the laid across "where's my gin-and-tonic" pose! A friend of mine did that the other week in a topper, which also served to distract passers by in their faster wind-stealing boats.

pigs can....and do.....

Time to create page: 1.604 seconds