MCA website logo 2017 4

Dumping Power

• SteveH
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 08:09 #19796 by SteveH
Dumping Power was created by SteveH
I have decided to play with our mirror in the handicap fleet so that I can teach my son to sail and so that I can at least sail while I am repairing my boat.

I am intending to use the spinnaker even when single handing, but I just want to ask for some advice on dealing with the gusts. On a D/H dinghy with spinnaker up on a reach, we have always used the jib to dump power first, then maybe the main as they are both quicker to reset. However, in my minds eye I can see it will probably be easier to dump the spinnaker while single handing as I assume that the main sheet will be clamped in my tiller hand, and the jib sheet will be in a cleat and I will be playing the spinny. Is this the usual case or is there some other method that I haven't thought of?

Thanks

Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Simon Lovesey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 08:32 #14725 by Simon Lovesey
Replied by Simon Lovesey on topic Dumping Power
Steve

I am often sailing single handed or with small crews who may need me to trim the spinnaker in stronger winds.

I find the best technique is to bear away in the gusts and easing the spinnaker at the same time. Unless it is a massive gust you only need a small adjustment to keep things level, assuming you are hiking full out. With the main sheet under your tiller hand it is relatively easy to let a bit of rope slip through to adjust the main to the new course.

Once the gust has gone through you can head up to the original course.

If you cannot head up sufficiently to make the next buoy because you are over powered, probably need to drop the spinnaker.

MCA Secretary

• SteveH
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 Mar 2007 10:58 #14726 by SteveH
Replied by SteveH on topic Dumping Power
Thanks for the advice Simon. I will let you know how I get on

Steve

• angus
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2007 08:28 #14732 by angus
Replied by angus on topic Dumping Power
Just to add to Simons response;

Every time i have capsized as a S/H it has been on a tight reach with the spinnaker up.

Dumping the spinnaker helps, as does bearing away, but it is the jib that has you over when a gust comes making the boat heel, you head up (no matter how much hike and tiller you use)and over you go.

I have now learnt to stop being 'greedy' and always ease the jib considerably as i round the mark before going on to a tight reach. I would not say that the jib flaps but it is not far from it. After this i then have one rear hand on the tiller and main and the other plays both spinnaker sheets. I also use a very short spinnaker sheet so that the sail all but flies on its own with no spare sheet in the boat.

I don't get this problem when i have a crew as it seems that just a little extra weight and hiking out keeps the boat flatish when the gust come.

Time to create page: 1.547 seconds