MCA website logo 2017 4

Mirrors Rock (but don't roll)

• David Hinks
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Sep 2008 16:39 #16232 by David Hinks
Replied by David Hinks on topic Mirrors Rock (but don't roll)
Hi,
Thanks to Roger and Cush for their entertaining stories about dinghy cruising. Many years ago I was sailing single-handed on the Blackwater in Esxxx when I capsized just off Herring Point, that's just before the river sweeps round the corner to Mill Beach and Heybridge Basin. I waved away the Safety boat being young and over-confident in my ability to get in and sail back to the HYTHE. A few seconds later I realised the rudder had fallen off! So I had to walk and swim the boat home through the shallows.
Next day at the crack of dawn I rowed out to the spot and waited for dead low tide. I was fairly confident of finding the rudder because it had an aluminium plate. I dug around in the gravel and mud. I found no rudder but I did find some little memorial casket lion handles from an ash -scattering ceremony perhaps and a glistening round thing like an upturned pudding basin. AT FIRST I thought it was an unexploded World War II bomb. Then I realised that the shape did not quite have the regularity of milled steel. It was in fact a very handsome bellarmine jug. I took it to the local museum, which had fifty or sixty like it so I was allowed to keep it. My little adventure did me no harm except a mild sore throat from the dirty (at that time) water. I did learn a very important lesson though. ALWAYS make sure you have a retaining clip
on your rudder !
Best wishes
David Hinks Mirror 40984
Streaker 1563

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roger Clark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Sep 2008 16:39 #16235 by Roger Clark
Replied by Roger Clark on topic Mirrors Rock (but don't roll)
Hello David

Its good to hear there are other mad Mirror sailors that only cruise and read this forum. It seems I am not alone in loosing a rudder, but luckliy mine is all wood and floats.

Do you have any other interesting stories you would like to share with us?

Roger Clark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 1.338 seconds