MCA website logo 2017 4

mast floats

More
31 Jul 2019 12:58 #21298 by Eleanor Thomas
mast floats was created by Eleanor Thomas
Hi,

there is much on forums about mast floats, but does anyone have experience of using any and how much they slowed or prevented inversion?
Thanks,

Eleanor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2019 08:49 #21299 by Martin Egan
Replied by Martin Egan on topic mast floats
Hi Eleanor,

we are using them a bit with our Mirror fleet at Restronguet SC, see www.facebook.com/restronguetsailingcluby...-JYbEaAz6A&__tn__=-R

As you can see, we use the Optiparts one, www.ukmirrorsailing.com/index.php?option...le&id=597&Itemid=339 and I would say they are very effective at stoping inversions. However, there is a limit. If both sailors remain on the 'cockpit' side of the hull and hang on the top gunwale etc. for long enough, even with a float, it will invert (but is still easier to right from that position than without a float)

MCA Webmaster 2011 - 2018

More
07 Aug 2019 11:33 #21300 by Eleanor Thomas
Replied by Eleanor Thomas on topic mast floats
Thanks - that is really helpful - all I want is a slowing down if it's a dip to windward to enable me to release kicker etc before swimming round to right the boat. thanks again, Eleanor

Time to create page: 2.013 seconds