MCA website logo 2017 4

Allowing mirrors to be built from plans

• ASW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2006 08:33 #11642 by ASW
Replied by ASW on topic Allowing mirrors to be built from plans
www.oneoceankayaks.com/stitchglu ... ytype1.htm

Think this answers nearly any question on Plywood types and specifications.
Very relevant to the Mirror (stitch & glue construction)

Hope this helps

Andy

ASW Boatbuilding & repairs. 07966 513147

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ASW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2006 08:35 #11643 by ASW
www.worldpanel.com/bs1088.htm

Another good link - explains BS1088 in simple terms.

Andy

• Simon Lovesey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2006 17:25 #11657 by Simon Lovesey
Replied by Simon Lovesey on topic Allowing mirrors to be built from plans
Good to meet some of you at the Dinghy Show from this topic and put faces to virtual identities.

There were some verry good discussions about the various wood issues. There clearly is considerable interest in wood Mirrors, from doing up an old wreck through to new builds.

MCA is keen to support and encourage interest in wood boats, BUT the committee needs help if we are to push things forward. It has been suggested that a Special Interest Group for wood is formed, so please let me know if you are interested.

MCA Secretary

• ASW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Mar 2006 19:51 #11660 by ASW
Simon, good to meet you and Martin at the show.
As you know my time is extremely tight, with shift work, boatbuilding etc.. etc..
However, any assistance I may be to the Special interest group - please let me know.

Andy

More
12 Sep 2006 14:30 #12728 by Trevor Lloyd
I would like to propose that mirrors can be built from plans (typical cost £35) and with the application for an ISAF plaque once built. This will reduce the homebuild bare shell cost to around £250 a saving of about £450.

I believe Boat builders would be very happy with this as they could maintain their margins or even for it to be worthwhile them building them in the first place. For the amateur builder you might see a growth in boats built, after all a failed project would only cost upwards of £150 not £800 as today. I imagine there are a lot of unfinished projects around. Also a lot of the money spent restoring old boats would be spent on new boats as it would be as cheap and arguably easier to build a new boat. Dave hughes made a very valid point that old boats restored are worth much less than a new boat. Currently it is not timely or easy to get kits \ parts and the class is being driven down the ‘illegal’ repair route or to GRP by this. Perhaps we could go for a postal vote?

N2O

• toddy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Sep 2006 20:02 #12733 by toddy
Replied by toddy on topic Allowing mirrors to be built from plans
I agree with Trello. Having just ordered a kit it would appear I am going to have to modify the panels anyway !!
A set of dimensions for a racing mirror to cut from ply would probably have been easier.
Selway Fisher design do this for their stitch and tape designs

Time to create page: 1.723 seconds