New Masts

• Russyh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Sep 2009 15:32 #20564 by Russyh
New Masts was created by Russyh
Hi,
A fellow mirror sailor at my club has informed me you can make a mast off another boat fit a mirror under the new rules, has anybody done this yet and if so what mast section do they recomend and which class is best to start off with?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Roger Clark
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 Sep 2009 15:43 #16638 by Roger Clark
Replied by Roger Clark on topic New Masts
Hello Russyh

Personally I would not even contemplate using a mast from another class if you want to race and stay within class rules.

You would need to check any mast against the rules ( www.sailing.org/1820.php?PHPSESS ... c160d3bc92 )before you consider parting with any money. There may be fittings in the wrong place and moving them will weaken the mast.

My advice would be either to pay up for a new one piece mast or continue with the gaff rig. The gain in performance will be minimal and a couple of bad tacks or poor spinnaker launch will wipe out the advantage. The downside to the one piece mast is that if you capsize it is more likely to turn turtle.

Hope this helps.

Roger Clark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 1.383 seconds