Built from a Bell kit by Sid Morriss inside his flat in London. According to the Daily Mirror, Saturday 13th April 1963, page 9 "I knocked my dinghy together in the top bedroom upstairs," said builder-decorator Mr. Sidney Morriss, 48, of Wood Green, London. " When it was finished I had to push it out through the bedroom window." Mr. Morris added: "I have never done any sailing before, but I have always wanted to have a bash. I have read the instruction books that come with the kit, and l am getting on fine.
Sid went on to become President of the UK Mirror Class Association.
- Sailed at the Wraysbury SC Mirror Open by Sid Morriss
- At this time she was owned by Gemma Fear and raced with her brother Jamie at Poole Yacht Club against Mirrors sailed by Kate & Lucy Macgregor, Matt Burge,.....
- Featured in the Mirror Class Association promotional video "The World of the Mirror Dinghy" with Jack Holt and Sid Morris in a sequence filmed at Chichester Yacht Club.
This boat was advertised for sale for £1,500, details were:
- Historically interesting boat, one of the earliest Mirrors still surviving. The only older ones known are No. 1 "Eileen" in National Maritime Museum, Falmouth and No. 3 "Dingbat III" owned by the Cooke family.
- Dried stored since it was last sailed in the mid 90's.
- Wood has been epoxy sprayed on the outside with colour, and inside with clear.
- Obeche inner gunwale kit fitted.
- Still in remarkable condition.
- Still has the original wooden spars in addition to the alloy gunter mast in the photo.
Contact Lyn Fear
Withdrawn from sale. Gemma Fear has decided to keep it to sail with her daughter when she's old enough!