MCA website logo 2017 4

Scillysail for Cancer Research UK

• celtic warrior
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jun 2008 20:12 #20295 by celtic warrior
Scillysail for Cancer Research UK was created by celtic warrior
This post is to inform mirror sailors, past and present, young or old, those who compete at the highest level and those who "simply want to have fun" of a event that will take place towards the end of July.
I shall be crewing "Auk" Mirror dinghy sail number 68302 from St Mary's on the Scillies to Mount's Bay Sailing Club, Marazion, Cornwall. The helm will be Tony Clee. Tony is 82 and has recently recovered from throat cancer. He continues to race regularly at club level and on his day is still capable of winning within a fleet which includes National Squad and Zone Squad sailors. This is a crossing of some 40 miles with some of the most demanding tidal and sea conditions to be found around our coastline. An added hazard is that it is also one of the UK's busiest shipping areas.
Tony conceived this challenge to raise money for Cancer Research in order to "give something back" and to show his gratitude for the care, attention and expertise he received in helping him to combat cancer. His challenge is already receiving considerable media interest and it is being presented as the oldest and youngest crew in the smallest sailing dinghy ever to attempt this crossing.
If you are interested in finding out more, or even supporting Tony please visit www.scillysail.com .I will try to keep you posted on our progress over the next few weeks.
Many Thanks, Beth White - Age 16.

Edited by - celtic warrior on 23 June 2008 21:19:17

Edited by - celtic warrior on 23 June 2008 21:19:30

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rob Bode
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jul 2008 21:00 #16174 by Rob Bode
Replied by Rob Bode on topic Scillysail for Cancer Research UK
The end of the month is looming large and the dinghy was scheduled to go over on the ferry today, so all being well they will very soon be going for it.

Not withstanding that they have got some top notch safety cover, anyone who is any doubt as to how brave a feat this is should have a look at the strength of the tidal flows and the list of wrecks around this part of the coast, everyone else should get themselves onto www.scillysail.com/ or www.justgiving.com/scillysail and show even if it is just by 5p that you are behind Tony and Beth in this incredible journey.

• Rob Bode
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2008 13:45 #16176 by Rob Bode
Replied by Rob Bode on topic Scillysail for Cancer Research UK
The sail is on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tony and Beth left Hugh Town early this morning and are well on their way across. If all goes well they will back in time for tea.

All those of us down in the southwest should be able to see them on this evenings BBC Spotlight programme.

To anyone who hasn't taken the opportunity to show fiscal support to this fantastic demonstration of the Mirror's cruising abilities, please, please, please pay a visit to the justgiving link in my post above and contribute to the life saving research organisation that Tony and Beth are risking their's to support!

• chilledthames
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Aug 2008 18:56 #16190 by chilledthames
Replied by chilledthames on topic Scillysail for Cancer Research UK
well done to Tony and his crew. I was wondering if I was the oldest regular Mirror sailor and now I know I am not, nor the most adventurous.
I am a mere 73 and have not done anything much in open water, except sail in 3 meter swell off Durban Beach.I now sail at Invergordon, if you know where that is. I have had 9 mirrors in S.A. and England and Scotland and made two of them.One from a kit. My first name is Richard. Any other regular sailors who are also 70 year olds .

G.Matlin

• celtic warrior
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Aug 2008 14:10 #16195 by celtic warrior
Replied by celtic warrior on topic Scillysail for Cancer Research UK
For those who are interested and would like more detail of our crossing from St Mary's to Mounts Bay you can log on to www.mbsc.org.uk where you will find a link which gives you a report of the crossing with photographs and a short video.

Cheers Beth

Edited by - celtic warrior on 12 August 2008 15:12:40

Edited by - celtic warrior on 12 August 2008 15:13:33

Time to create page: 1.577 seconds